History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Commemorative cross at Church of St Sadwrn

A Grade II Listed Building in Cwm Cadnant, Isle of Anglesey

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2602 / 53°15'36"N

Longitude: -4.1699 / 4°10'11"W

OS Eastings: 255358

OS Northings: 375890

OS Grid: SH553758

Mapcode National: GBR JN22.NN7

Mapcode Global: WH540.X9JZ

Plus Code: 9C5Q7R6J+33

Entry Name: Commemorative cross at Church of St Sadwrn

Listing Date: 28 May 2003

Last Amended: 28 May 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81134

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: Set back from the E side of the road runnung through the village of Llansadwrn, the cross lies directly to NW of the Church of St Sadwrn.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Community: Cwm Cadnant

Community: Cwm Cadnant

Locality: Llansadwrn

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Pentraeth

History

Early C20 commemorative cross, the front of the plinth bears an inscription which reads: This cross was erected by the people of this parish in memory of Hugh Stewart McCorquodale, Lieutenant Thorneycrofts Mounted Infantry, youngest son of George McCorquodale of Gadlys, who at the call of duty volunteered for active service in South Africa and fell gallantly fighting on Spion Kop, Natal, on 24 January 1900 and was buried on the field of battle.

Exterior

Highly ornate Celtic revival memorial cross with slightly tapering shaft on smooth raking plinth. The front face bears Celtic swirls with a naturistic floriate detailing, inscription at the base of the shaft with commemorative details. The rear face bears humanistic figures of Christ in relief, the bottommost panel shows the Madonna and Child, above which is a depiction of the Crucifixion surmounted by Christ in majesty; the base of the shaft bears a much weathered inscription.

Reasons for Listing

Included as an extremely well-detailed early C20 commemorative cross in an ornate Celtic style which forms a group with the adjacent Church of St Sadwrn.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Church of St Sadwrn
    Set back from the E side of the road through the village of Llansadwrn.
  • II College
    On the east side of the B5109, approximately 200m north of the junction in Llansadwrn village.
  • II Pant Howell
    Set back, within private grounds, from the W side of a country road leading from Llandegfan to Llansadwrn; c0.5km NW of the Church of St Tegfan.
  • II Church of St Tegfan
    Set back from the N side of a country road leading N and E out of Llandegfan towards Hen Bentref Llandegfan.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.