History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Monument including railings to Daniel Evans (Daniel Ddu o Geredigion) in Pencarreg churchyard

A Grade II Listed Building in Pencarreg, Carmarthenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0841 / 52°5'2"N

Longitude: -4.1395 / 4°8'22"W

OS Eastings: 253497

OS Northings: 245016

OS Grid: SN534450

Mapcode National: GBR DP.BV5M

Mapcode Global: VH4GW.6WG7

Entry Name: Monument including railings to Daniel Evans (Daniel Ddu o Geredigion) in Pencarreg churchyard

Listing Date: 23 June 2003

Last Amended: 23 June 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81231

Building Class: Commemorative

Location: On the S side of the church.

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Pencarreg

Community: Pencarreg

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Llanwnen

History

Daniel Evans (1792-1846) was born at Llanfihangel Ystrad, Ceredigion, and trained as an Anglican priest at Oxford. After a brief period as a chaplain, he resigned due to ill health and returned home to Llanfihangel Ystrad. He settled to a life writing poems and hymns, and was a regular eisteddfod contributor. His poems appeared in Blodau Dyfed (the flowers of Dyfed) (1824), an early anthology of regional Welsh poets, and his work was collected in Gwinllan y Bardd (1831).

Exterior

Two chest tombs enclosed by wrought-iron railings. The tombs are both of freestone with slate slabs, bearing inscriptions (no longer legible). The railings have spike and cast iron urn finials. A gate on the W side is beneath a simple arched overthrow embellished with scrollwork and finial.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its cultural-historical interest and as a fine C19 churchyard memorial contributing to the setting of the church.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Church of St Patrick
    On the S side and sited in a round churchyard above the A485.
  • II Pen-rhiw
    Approximately 200m SW of the church.
  • II Troed-rhiw
    Set down below the level of the road, approximately 250m SW of the parish church.
  • II Plas Cottage
    Fronting the road approximately 400m NE of the church.
  • II The Vicarage
    Approximately 0.75km NE of the parish church, in its own grounds on the edge of the town.
  • II Felin yr Aber
    Situated about 1 km S of Llanwnnen, reached by drive running SE off B4337.
  • II Capel Rhydybont
    Situated on the N side of the B4337 at Rhyd-y-bont approximately 1.2km E of the centre of Llanybydder.
  • II Milepost on B4337 at Alltyblaca
    Situated on the NW side of the B4337, in the centre of Alltyblaca approximately 330m S of the chapel.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.