History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Trewern

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8271 / 52°49'37"N

Longitude: -3.2839 / 3°17'1"W

OS Eastings: 313591

OS Northings: 326280

OS Grid: SJ135262

Mapcode National: GBR 6T.TSYC

Mapcode Global: WH78V.J6GJ

Entry Name: Trewern

Listing Date: 29 August 2003

Last Amended: 29 August 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81844

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: 1 km north-east of the village of Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant, to the east side of its farmyard from which it is separated by a low wall.

County: Powys

Community: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant

Community: Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant

Locality: Trewern

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llanrhaeadr-ym-Mochnant

History

Probably C17 or C18, a three-unit farmhouse entered at the north side. Marked as Trewern-fawr on the Tithe Survey of 1839; owned by Frances Roberts and occupied by Richard Edwards with about 206 acres (83.43 hectares). In 1867 the house was doubled in size with a three-gabled south extension. At this time the original part was renovated and given a false west chimney. The house was replanned to face south, but is now again normally entered at the north side, through a later porch.

Exterior

A large farmhouse in quasi-rubble masonry apart from a low rendered north porch which is probably in brick, all painted white; slate roof with tile ridges. The triple roof of the newer part is taller than that of the original house. Yellow brick end- and mid-chimneys.

Three-window north elevation of the original range with 12-pane horizontally sliding sash windows above and a single 16-pane sash window below; low modern lean-to porch at left.

The south, designed in the C19 to be the front, is the most significant elevation. This is in three gables with a datestone at the head of the central one, reading 'Rebuilt by / W[illiam] and M[ary] Morris / 1867' The fenestration of the left and centre gables is treated as a three-window composition, with 16-pane sash windows vertically aligned and a central semi-glazed main door. Stone sills, timber lintels. The ground storey window to the left is in a small canted bay. The doorway has a timber porch on brick footings with slate roof and gable facing and lattice panels. In the right gable are two similar upper windows set at a lower level with the mark of a walled up attic window above, and a small window below. One similar window in the east elevation, two in the west elevation. The sashes are generally hornless but several appear to have been restored with horns.

Interior

The hallway of the C19 entrance has straight stairs to one side.

Stairs in the central unit of the earlier (north) range are now secondary. Large lateral farmhouse chimney in the west unit, also chamfered main beams and rough joists. Boxed in oven believed to survive in the east unit.

Reasons for Listing

A three-unit vernacular farmhouse which has been enlarged in the C19 to a fine farmhouse of gentrified character, with gabled front - a noteable C19 form in this area.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.