This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.6312 / 51°37'52"N
Longitude: -2.9934 / 2°59'36"W
OS Eastings: 331336
OS Northings: 192952
OS Grid: ST313929
Mapcode National: GBR J5.8KRC
Mapcode Global: VH7B6.28BC
Entry Name: The Monks Cell at Llantarnam Abbey
Listing Date: 30 September 2003
Last Amended: 30 September 2003
Source ID: 81873
Location: Situated some 60m E of the walled garden at Llantarnam Abbey.
Locality: Llantarnam Abbey
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Garden building built 1905 for Sir Clifford Cory Bt owner of Llantarnam Abbey from 1895. The building overlooked a small lake, now gone, and replaced a ruinous building. It is said to have been used as a changing-room for polo matches. Now cottage and workshop.
Outbuilding now cottage, purple squared rubble stone with ashlar dressings and hipped
slate roof with eaves brackets. Single storey, T-plan with ashlar ridge stack on rear wing. Tudor-style details. E front has centre entrance under eaves-breaking coped curved head with finial. Pointed ashlar doorway with leaf spandrels, hoodmould and carved head stops, hood formerly stepped over curved-headed plaque with shield and date 1905. Broad 3-light window each side with Tudor-arched heads to lights, and C20 glazing. Three steps up to door with low side walls, in grey Forest of Dean ashlar. At right NE corner is projected tower with broad octagonal base, single light on 4 of faces, slate roof carried around with matching eaves brackets, under round upper turret with arch-headed narrow lights and conical roof with eaves brackets and weathercock. N end has turret to left and blocked Tudor-arched door with one low curving Forest of Dean stone wall to right side.
Rear wing is hipped to W with N 2-light window and blocked door, both Tudor-arched. Ashlar quoins and two 2-light windows at W end, S side has Tudor-arched door and 2-light window. Panelled door. S end of main range has similar Tudor-arched doorway with panelled door and curving Forest of Dean stone wall, as at N end door.
Not available for inspection.
Included as a picturesque estate building of the earlier C20.
Other nearby listed buildings