History in Structure

Felin Newydd with Attached Former Miller's Cottage and Shed

A Grade II Listed Building in Llansilin, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 52.8562 / 52°51'22"N

Longitude: -3.1556 / 3°9'20"W

OS Eastings: 322287

OS Northings: 329366

OS Grid: SJ222293

Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.S1Z7

Mapcode Global: WH78Q.HGKR

Plus Code: 9C4RVR4V+FQ

Entry Name: Felin Newydd with Attached Former Miller's Cottage and Shed

Listing Date: 25 September 2003

Last Amended: 25 September 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81899

ID on this website: 300081899

Location: On the west side of the Afon Ogau about 1 km north-east of the village of Llansilin. The mill was fed by a leat and a millpond terminating in a stone retaining structure.

County: Powys

Community: Llansilin

Community: Llansilin

Locality: Felin-newydd

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Tagged with: Cottage

Find accommodation in


C18 or perhaps early C19. New Mill is marked on the Tithe Map of 1841 as 'mill, house, buildings and garden' owned by Thomas Hughes, occupied by David Ellis with about 6 acres (2.4 hectares). Possibly the same owner built the present house, which carries the initials HTF, to supersede the cottage, in 1856; later the property is thought to have been part of the Wynnstay Estate.


A mill of two storeys and a loft with a shed at front (east) and an attached miller's cottage at the right side. The waterwheel position was against the south wall, but the wheel has been lost and is only detectable as a mark on the stonework.

The elevation to the road has a brick-dressed roundel in the gable apex, a small window to left and the main door to right. At right are two plain windows vertically aligned. At rear are a central window to the milling storey and a door and hatch below. Two high level windows with mullions on the left side. The openings generally lack lintels or sills.

The garage in front has double doors with a shallow brick arch and a loft opening above. The former cottage has a door and window to the front and a door to the rear.

The tailrace survives as an underground conduit attached to a small arch in the bridge.


The interior is of two storeys and an attic, without surviving stairs or ladder. At ground level the mill floor is flagged in slate. An aperture in the south wall for the shaft of the millwheel is visible internally. Two bay roof space with a single tie and collar beam truss with two queen posts. Part of sack hoisting apparatus survives. Part of the mill drive machinery remains, enclosed by a timber boarded screen. On the milling floor the positions of three pairs of stone are apparent, one retaining its pair of French burr stones.

The attached miller's cottage at the north side is a one-up one-down dwelling (under restoration when inspected), with large hearth and carved timber bressummer.

Reasons for Listing

Good example of an C18 or early C19 country mill, retaining much of its original millwork.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Felin-newydd stables
    To north side of the yard of Felin Newydd.
  • II Felin-newydd (house)
    At Felin-newydd about 2 km north-east of Llansilin village. Small walled and gated enclosure at front.
  • II Pont Felin-newydd
    Over the Afon Ogau about 2 km north-east of the village of Llansilin.
  • II Lofted Cartshed Range at Lledrod
    To the south side of Lledrod farmyard, beside the entrance gate.
  • II Shed and Stable Range at Lledrod
    At the east side of Lledrod farmyard, to the south of the house.
  • II Cowhouse range at Lledrod
    At west side of Lledrod farmyard, opposite the farmhouse.
  • II Lledrod Farmhouse
    At the east side of the minor road to Ty-mawr which branches north from the Llansilin to Rhydycroesau road; 2 km north-east of Llansilin. Stone-walled forecourt to the farmyard.
  • II Ty-mawr
    To south of a minor road in the Afon Ogau valley about 1 km north-east of the village of Llansilin.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.