History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage (formerly Beech Grove)

A Grade II Listed Building in Llansilin, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.8473 / 52°50'50"N

Longitude: -3.175 / 3°10'29"W

OS Eastings: 320964

OS Northings: 328399

OS Grid: SJ209283

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.SP86

Mapcode Global: WH78Q.6PCK

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage (formerly Beech Grove)

Listing Date: 25 September 2003

Last Amended: 25 September 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 81918

Building Class: Domestic

Location: In private grounds at the fork in the roads at the north end of the village of Llansilin.

County: Powys

Community: Llansilin

Community: Llansilin

Locality: Llansilin village

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llansilin

History

A vicarage appears on this site in the map of 1792. The vicar at this time, the Rev. R Maurice, is said to have lived elsewhere and let the vicarage to tenants. The style of the present building indicates a rebuild or substantial alteration in the early C19, said to have been carried out by the Rev. Walter Jones (vicar 1827-1876). It is still marked as the vicarage of Mr Jones on the Tithe Map of 1841; however he appears to have continued the custom of living elsewhere, as George Borrow in 1854 describes a visit to Mr Jones living at a different location in the village. The next incumbent, however, appears to have lived at the vicarage.

In 1911 the Ecclesiastical Commissioners granted £500 to the improvement of the vicarage. The house ceased to serve as a vicarage in the late C20 and has been carefully restored; it is now a guest house. The restoration of the front windows has maintained the character of the house without quite following the original, which had smaller panes.

Exterior

A two-storey, five-window symmetrically fronted house in Tudor style (as altered on the early C19), with flanking slightly advancing wings and a central porch. Shouldered coped gables to wings and porch, the latter with a string course. The house is rendered apart from the rear of the main range which is in brickwork. Slate roofs with tile ridges. Four rendered chimneys with pairs of diagonal stacks in red brick; single brickwork end stack to rear wing, all with terracotta pots.

Restored front elevation fenestration with mullion or mullion-and-transom windows, small panes. Tudor label moulds to all windows. Four-centred porch arch and main doorway. Four-panelled door in panelled casing.

At rear there is an added wing on the west side with later annexes in red brick. Main rear fenestration includes four 12-pane sash windows, one centrally at mid height serving the stairs landing.

Interior

Broadly symmetrical plan with central entrance and stairs to rear. A small parlour at rear left has a decorative ceiling cove.

Reasons for Listing

A fine parsonage in the Tudor architectural manner of the late Regency to early Victorian period, well restored.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bronwylfa
    At the west side of the road at the north end of Llansilin village, beside the turning to Rhiwlas.
  • II Telephone Call-box in Llansilin village.
    At the west side of High Street (B4580), close to road junction at north end of village. Set against rubble boundary wall with former local Post Office diagonally opposite.
  • II Preswylfa
    At east side of High Street, at north end of Llansilin village.
  • II Darwin Cottage
    At east side of High Street, at north end of Llansilin village.
  • II Old White Lion
    At east side of High Street, at north end of Llansilin village.
  • II No. 3 Greenfield Terrace
    At west side of High Street, at north end of Llansilin village.
  • II No. 2 Greenfield Terrace
    At west side of High Street, at north end of Llansilin village.
  • II No. 1 Greenfield Terrace
    At west side of High Street, at north end of Llansilin village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.