This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0159 / 53°0'57"N
Longitude: -4.3627 / 4°21'45"W
OS Eastings: 241599
OS Northings: 349120
OS Grid: SH415491
Mapcode National: GBR 5D.G2P0
Mapcode Global: WH43Y.YGP9
Entry Name: Pen yr allt Isaf
Listing Date: 16 January 2004
Last Amended: 16 January 2004
Source ID: 82032
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmstead is almost due south of, and approx 0.75km from, the Clynnog church. It is approached from the lane which runs S from the village, parallel to the main road, then via a rough track over
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The history of this small upland farmstead can be clearly traced in the buildings themselves. To the right of the present house, a single storey range represents the original house with its farm range advanced down-slope at right angles - a traditional upland small-holding of probably early C19 date. On the Tithe survey of 1843, the property formed part of the considerable holdings of Lord Newborough. In the later C19 (prior to 1887), probably under the auspices of the Newborough estate, a new house was built, retaining the original dwelling as an annex, and a small planned farmyard provided. The buildings have been scarcely altered since.
The group forms three sides of an enclosed yard, and comprises domestic range, parallel to the slope at the top of the site with attached farm-range (including barn) at right angles, and cowhouse forming the lower range, parallel to the house.
Domestic range: The earlier building is to the right: single storeyed, limewashed rubble with small slate roof, grouted. Large chimney with moulded cap at right, with coping stones to gable. Doorway towards centre, and 4-pane window to its left; farm-range attached to right-hand section. Later C19 main house is also rubble stone with buttered pointing, with big quoins and dressings; machine-cut slate roof with brick end-wall stacks. one and a half storeyed, 2-unit plan. Central entrance in gabled porch, with side entrance. Flanking windows are 12-pane horned sashes, with 4-pane sashes in brick lined dormers breaking the eaves line above.
Western farm-range: two phases of building, the upper section attached to the original dwelling and apparently contemporary with it, the lower section part of the late C19 improvement works carried out by the Newborough estate. Upper section is of mortared rubble (though exposed stonework to rear reveals heavy block construction, the joints packed with smaller stones), with small grouted slate roof, sloped to follow the slope of the site. Altered openings in upper section (associated with partial conversion to domestic use?), but original doorway against lower gable end; loft opening in gable, presumably blocked when barn range was added. Single doorway and vent in rear elevation. Lower section (the barn range) also rubble-built, with sloping roof with machine-cut slate. Wide door to former stable, then narrower barn door with flanking vents. This door aligns with square opening in rear wall, perhaps a winnowing window.
Northern farm-range (cow-house): late C19 estate-built. Rubble with buttered pointing and machine-cut slate roof. Boarded doorway to left and similar door with flanking windows to right: these are new, but based on an original pattern, with small paned upper lights over 2-pane lower lights (formerly timber sliding shutters). Doorway in gable end leading to longitudinal passage. No openings in rear wall, but eartheware pipes used as vents.
Not fully inspected, but late C19 farm-ranges have sawn timber bolted trusses and retain original fixtures (timber stalls and mangers). Right-hand bay of cowhouse has stalls at right angles to axis of building, and is lofted.
Listed as an exceptionally well-preserved small late C19 estate farm, of particular interest not only for its excellent state of survival, but also for the retention of the earlier dwelling and farm-building, incorporated into the later planned layout.
Other nearby listed buildings