This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3157 / 52°18'56"N
Longitude: -3.9604 / 3°57'37"W
OS Eastings: 266466
OS Northings: 270427
OS Grid: SN664704
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.WCJP
Mapcode Global: VH4G0.92N4
Entry Name: Cwmllechwedd Uchaf
Listing Date: 11 November 2003
Last Amended: 15 April 2004
Source ID: 82053
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 200m along a track to the W of a minor road 2km E of Lledrod.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Farmhouse, possibly former gentry house, probably mid to later C18, though massive stepped chimney looks later C17. The Rev David Hughes of Cwmllechwedd, vicar of Lledrod, died 1815, is buried in Lledrod churchyard. Marked on 1843 Tithe map as Cwmllechwedd Uchaf owned by David Hughes, occupied by William Williams.
Detached substantial farmhouse, rubble stone with traces of whitewash, slate roof with close eaves, brick stack to left and massive external stepped stone stack to right. Two-storey, 3-window irregular range, upper floor with smaller windows grouped centrally, ground floor with 2 larger windows, one beneath upper left, the other closer in to right of central doorway, with a third much smaller, to far right. Upper openings with brick voussoirs and those of ground floor with stone voussoirs. Slate sills. Windows all renewed in C20 uPVC; plain board door to centre. Left gable end rendered, with large 6-pane attic casement. Right end taken up largely with external stack which is stepped both on the front face and on sides, but a doorway is to the right in the end wall of the added lean-to to rear, with small 4-pane casement above. Lean-to has straight joint to main range and occupies left end of rear wall of farmhouse. To centre rear, C20 uPVC window each floor, smaller to ground floor.
Kitchen has large inglenook with oak beam and bread oven. Ceiling has exposed oak beam with roughly squared joists.
Included despite C20 windows as a substantial farmhouse possibly of C17 origins, an early survival for this area, with remarkable external chimney and some surviving interior detail.
Other nearby listed buildings