This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8555 / 51°51'19"N
Longitude: -4.3209 / 4°19'15"W
OS Eastings: 240258
OS Northings: 219978
OS Grid: SN402199
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TBVV
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.2M2G
Entry Name: No 8 and front railings
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82189
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated towards NE end of Park, a pair with No 9.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of a pair of semi-detached houses of c1894-6 probably by G. Morgan & Son of Carmarthen. Penllwyn Park was developed by the Carmarthen Land Co from 1893, with George Morgan as architect. Two villas were built in 1893-4, Radnor House, No 12, for C.W. Jones JP in 1896, and plans for 5 houses for J. Richards and 5 for Messrs Brown, Thomas & John, builders, all by Morgan are in the National Library.
This pair and Nos 12-13 are in Queen Anne style with small-paned windows and much red tile-hanging.
The iron railings made by the Old Foundry Co of Carmarthen are distinctive and are a feature of the whole development.
Semi-detached house, a pair with No 9, late Victorian Queen Anne style. Rendered with timber 2-storey veranda, extensive red tile-hanging and slate deep eaved roofs with centre ridge stack. Two storeys and attic, 4-window range to the pair. S front framed by big 3-storey canted bays with canted hipped roofs. Recessed centre has paired attic gables with overhanging bargeboards, terracotta finials, and tile-hung gables over 2 3-light windows, panelled piers between lights. Lean-to tiled roof below over 2-storey veranda of 4 bays with turned balusters, and timber posts. First floor posts carry brackets to make shouldered-headed openings, ground floor posts have curved brackets to make arched openings with pierced spandrels. Windows are generally sashes with small panes to top sash only. Narrow triple sashes to centre gables, first floor and ground floor have half-glazed door with side and top lights. The canted bays have dentilled eaves cornice, fish-scale tiling between floors, red brick bases, and 3 large sash windows each floor, with narrow outer side lights and panelled piers between.
Rendered side walls formerly with brick stacks. Side wall doors.
Forecourt railings matching others in Penllwyn Park, with rock faced rubble walls, stone coping and low rails with 2 horizontal bars, standards with finials and curving brackets under upper bar. Curving ironwork also under lower bar, with finial over.
Included as part of an unusual ornate late Victorian pair in Queen Anne style, part of a very distinctive residential suburb of the late C19.
Other nearby listed buildings