This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8553 / 51°51'19"N
Longitude: -4.3215 / 4°19'17"W
OS Eastings: 240217
OS Northings: 219959
OS Grid: SN402199
Mapcode National: GBR DF.TBQJ
Mapcode Global: VH3LH.1MRL
Entry Name: Penrhyn and railings
Listing Date: 28 November 2003
Last Amended: 28 November 2003
Source ID: 82193
Location: Situated towards SW end of Park.
Community: Carmarthen (Caerfyrddin)
Built-Up Area: Carmarthen
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
One of a pair of semi-detached houses of 1896 probably by G. Morgan & Son of Carmarthen. Penllwyn Park was developed by the Carmarthen Land Co from 1893, with George Morgan as architect. Two villas were built in 1893-4, Radnor House No 12 for C.W. Jones JP in 1896, and plans for 5 houses for J. Richards and 5 for Messrs Brown, Thomas & John, builders, all by Morgan are in the National Library. This pair Nos 12-13 are in Queen Anne style with small-paned windows and much red tile-hanging. The iron railings made by the Old Foundry Co of Carmarthen are distinctive and are a feature of the whole development.
Semi-detached house, a pair with No 12 in late Victorian Queen Anne style. Painted stucco with red tile-hanging and slate deep eaved roofs. Brick stack to left of centre. Three storeys, 3-window range to the pair. Triple gabled front with bargeboards and terracotta finials, tile-hung gables over tile-hung second floor jettied out over 3 2-storey bays, on timber bracket each side. Second floor has small-paned triple windows on wall-face, outer windows have broad centre light with arch and radiating bar tracery within square head. Centre windows are plain square-headed sashes. Moulded cornice above the 3 canted bays which have tiling between floors, red brick below, and windows with small-pane glazing to the top sashes only. Windows are 1-2-1-light, and first floor sashes have a cambered head to each upper sash. Rendered side walls with red brick remains of truncated side wall stacks. Side wall entry to No 12, No 13 has a one-window stuccoed link range to No 14, presumably earlier C20, with 6-panel door and leaded overlight, first floor triple mullion and transom window and triple casement under eaves.
Forecourt railings matching others in Penllwyn Park, with rock faced rubble walls, stone coping and low rails with 2 horizontal bars, standards with finials and curving brackets under upper bar. Curving ironwork also under lower bar, with finial over.
Included as one of a pair of unusual well-designed Queen Anne style late C19 villas, part of a distinctive late C19 residential development.
Other nearby listed buildings