History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Grange, former stables and coach house to Dyffryn House

A Grade II Listed Building in Dyffryn Clydach, Neath Port Talbot

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6814 / 51°40'53"N

Longitude: -3.8318 / 3°49'54"W

OS Eastings: 273449

OS Northings: 199662

OS Grid: SS734996

Mapcode National: GBR H1.5BVS

Mapcode Global: VH4JZ.JZMX

Entry Name: The Grange, former stables and coach house to Dyffryn House

Listing Date: 22 December 2003

Last Amended: 22 December 2003

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82325

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: In Dyffryn some 75m N of the site of Dyffryn House and approximately 400m SW of the Church of St Matthew.

County: Neath Port Talbot

Town: Neath

Community: Dyffryn Clydach

Community: Dyffryn Clydach

Locality: Dyffryn

Built-Up Area: Neath

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Neath

History

Former stables and coach house to Dyffryn, dated 1862. Dyffryn was built for Howel Gwyn in 1853-5, apparently to his own design, and demolished in the 1930s as unsold in 1927. This complex is an unusual Tudor Gothic range with low side wings, possibly also designed by Howel Gwyn.

Exterior

Lofted stables and former coach house wings at right angles, rock-faced Pennant stone with slate roofs. Main range has coped shouldered gables and close-eaved roof. Tall two storeys with centre Tudor-arched broad entry with rock-faced stone voussoirs and deep hoodmould, under stone-faced circular clock. Large first floor segmental-pointed window of three lights breaking eaves in steep centre gable with eroded date plaque and metal weather-vane dated 1862. To each side are small similar shouldered gables over narrow eaves-breaking single light windows with cambered heads. Glazing replaced in C20 conversion to flat, thin glazing bars with diagonal bars to top panes. Ground floor each side of centre has two large cambered-headed windows with C20 glazing. All windows have rock-faced stone surrounds and flush sills. A small C20 window is inserted under eaves to left.
The two single-storey ranges coming forward are altered but appear to have been coach houses, left one has painted-brick later infill between original stone piers, the right one has similar rock-faced rubble stone walling to left with cambered-headed door and window with 2-light glazing, then a broad coach-entry infilled in stone with glazing under timber lintel.

Interior

Not inspected.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special architectural interest as a Victorian estate stable and coach-house range in Tudor Gothic style for a prominent Neath industrialist.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.