This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7969 / 51°47'48"N
Longitude: -4.2732 / 4°16'23"W
OS Eastings: 243338
OS Northings: 213358
OS Grid: SN433133
Mapcode National: GBR DH.XYHD
Mapcode Global: VH3LW.W38B
Entry Name: Glanrhydw
Listing Date: 16 January 2004
Last Amended: 16 January 2004
Source ID: 82399
Location: In its own grounds and reached by private drive on the W side of the B4309 between Carmarthen and Pontyates.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Said to have been built c1732 by William Saunders, attorney. The house is shown on the 1842 Tithe map with a long detached rear range housing offices and service rooms. This range was linked to the main house in the late C19 by a bridge and is shown on the 1906 Ordnance Survey.
A double-depth 3-storey 5-bay Georgian house of rubble stone (formerly stucco and then roughcast) and 2-span hipped roof on wide bracketed eaves, with roughcast stacks. The front (E) elevation has a replaced front door and overlight. In the lower and middle storeys are late C19 2-pane horned sashes in original openings. The upper storey has small 3-pane upper storey windows, of which the central is pivoting, also in original openings. The L end wall has a doorway L of centre with portico partly removed when a conservatory shown on the 1888 Ordnance Survey was removed. To the R of the doorway is a 12-pane hornless sash window and another, inserted, window further R. In the middle storey is an inserted glazed door L of centre, and in the upper storey two 4-pane sash windows. At the rear are 4-pane horned sashes and a bridge to a detached wing, which is combined with service buildings. Set back in the R end wall is a lower 2-storey wing with entrance facing the rear courtyard.
Listed for its architectural interest as an C18 country house retaining Georgian character.
Other nearby listed buildings