This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9742 / 52°58'27"N
Longitude: -3.3908 / 3°23'26"W
OS Eastings: 306703
OS Northings: 342774
OS Grid: SJ067427
Mapcode National: GBR 6N.JQTP
Mapcode Global: WH780.WHHS
Entry Name: Bryntirion
Listing Date: 28 January 2004
Last Amended: 28 January 2004
Source ID: 82405
Location: Located off the E side of the B4401 immediately S of Corwen.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Small gentry villa dated 1852, with a combination of classical symmetry and some Tudor-Gothic detail. The earlier farmhouse is incorporated into one of the rear ranges and is shown on the tithe map of 1838.
Symmetrical 2-storey 3-window front with narrow gabled bay advanced to centre. Roughcast and white-washed under a slate roof with wide boarded eaves. Two lateral stacks to rear eaves, each with 4 tall stellar brick shafts. From the front, these appear symmetrically arranged to L and R of centre. Detail includes decorative openwork barge boards with pendant finials; fine square-headed wooden windows with horizontal and vertical glazing bars and margin glazing. The front faces W. Central entrance consisting of a gabled wooden porch against advanced bay, with half-glazed double doors and side lights. Fan-light to gable which has openwork barge boards and a pendant finial. Inside the porch is a glazed door with small-pane glazing, and a fan-light. Above the porch is a tall round-arched hornless sash window, probably a stairlight. In relief to the gable is the date '1852'. The outer flanking bays have 3-light windows to the ground floor and 2-light windows above, all with margin glazing.
The N gable end has a canted bay window with hipped rooflet and small-pane glazing. Above is a 2-light window with margin glazing. Similar arrangement of openings to S gable end.
Adjoining the rear is a parallel range of one-and-a-half storeys, all that remains of the earlier farmhouse. Its N gable end is set back from the N end of the main range, and has similar detail including openwork barge boards. Canted bay window to ground floor and 2-light casement above. Adjoining its NE angle is a long parallel service range, probably contemporary with the main range, with a central rendered ridge stack. It is 2-storey and 2-window with a panelled door to far R. The windows have margin glazing and are 3-light except for the upper storey R window which is 4-light. The rear is built into the bank and was not seen.
To the R side of the main range and set back is a 2-storey one-window extension built in 1926. The 4-light windows have margin glazing, though the upper storey windows have no horizontal glazing bars.
No access to interior at time of inspection.
Listed as a fine well-preserved mid-C19 gentry villa, with some Tudor-Gothic detail, perhaps a response to its early origins.
Other nearby listed buildings