This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.7753 / 52°46'30"N
Longitude: -3.1504 / 3°9'1"W
OS Eastings: 322494
OS Northings: 320363
OS Grid: SJ224203
Mapcode National: GBR 6Z.Y97T
Mapcode Global: WH793.LH1R
Entry Name: Sun Hotel
Listing Date: 2 March 2004
Last Amended: 2 March 2004
Source ID: 82585
Building Class: Commercial
Location: At north side of the main street of the village, about 200 m west of Llansantffraid Bridge; walled terrace at front, yard at rear.
Community: Llansantffraid (Llansanffraid)
Locality: Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain village
Built-Up Area: Llansanffraid-ym-Mechain
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably early C19, with a mid-C19 extension to the east side. It is noted in the Tithe Survey (1838) as Sun public house and buildings, fold and garden, owned and occupied by W Richard Lewis.
A two-storey hotel in cream-painted brickwork facing south to the main street of the village. The original part is L-shaped, with a three-bay range to the street and a rear wing at the east side. The main range of the hotel has been extended to the east with an additional two bays slightly set back. Regular slate roofs with a hip at the return of the main range and an end chimney to the rear wing. Further single storey extensions at east and at to the rear.
The original part has three upper windows of 16-pane hornless-sash type aligned with openings below. The ground storey has a central door with sash windows each side, similar to those above but considerably larger. To the right is an additional door. Both doors are semi-glazed with rectangular overlights (that of the left door blank) and canopies on brackets.
The later part to the right has two 16-pane hornless sash windows above and below, with a central modern semi-glazed door under a simple pediment. Modern fenestration at sides and rear.
A good hotel building of the Regency period, with later sympathetic enlargement, which has retained its character.
Other nearby listed buildings