History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Former Miner's Welfare Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Town (Y Dref), Merthyr Tydfil

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.747 / 51°44'49"N

Longitude: -3.3767 / 3°22'36"W

OS Eastings: 305051

OS Northings: 206264

OS Grid: SO050062

Mapcode National: GBR HN.15CQ

Mapcode Global: VH6CY.FC72

Entry Name: Former Miner's Welfare Hall

Listing Date: 13 January 1988

Last Amended: 8 April 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 82671

Building Class: Health and Welfare

Location: Prominently sited on the way to Thomastown from High Street.

County: Merthyr Tydfil

Town: Merthyr

Community: Town (Y Dref)

Community: Town

Built-Up Area: Merthyr Tydfil

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Merthyr Tydfil

History

Originally built ca 1855 as Shiloh Welsh Wesleyan Chapel. Probably designed by I K Brunel, engineer to Vale of Neath Railway Company who erected the new chapel when the railway station was built on the earlier site. Corner town cut down and building lengthened in 1921 when converted to Miners’ Hall. Recently (Spring 1987) converted to club use.

Exterior

Tall, gabled Romanesque front, snecked rubble facings, freestone dressings, modern slate roofs with bargeboards. Gable corbel-table rises from end pilasters with outer scalloped capitals linked horizontally by stringcourse; sill-band. Oculus with chevron splay and hoodmould to gable; incised lettering below. 9-light window band set into Romanesque interlace with taller two-order centre window, chevron to arch-ring, nook-shafts with scallop capitals. Three arched doorways, centre with corbelled hoodmoulds, chevron arch-ring and nook shafts with scallop capitals; plain boarded doors and tympana. Cut-down tower on left with modern hipped roof, recessed panels.
Terraced forecourt with original outer gatepiers and ironwork railings on side walls.
Aisled side elevation to Tramroad Site North with four 3-light interlaced clerestory windows, plainer arched openings below; different treatment to added bay.

Interior

Interior retains 3-sided galleries on columns and large blind arch with corbelled hoodmould.

Reasons for Listing

First listed in 1988 corrected record no 08/04/2004

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.