This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7315 / 51°43'53"N
Longitude: -5.0382 / 5°2'17"W
OS Eastings: 190291
OS Northings: 208008
OS Grid: SM902080
Mapcode National: GBR G5.W4YX
Mapcode Global: VH1RR.MRC0
Entry Name: Sunnybank, including attached outbuildings.
Listing Date: 17 May 2004
Last Amended: 17 May 2004
Source ID: 82697
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Set back on the NE side of the road through Thornton some 300m NW of Thornton Bridge.
Town: Milford Haven
Community: Tiers Cross
Community: Tiers Cross
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Former outbuildings to Thornton House, onto which a house was built in 1860, known as Thornton Farmhouse. The tender advertisement of 1860 refers to Thomas Roberts of Milford Haven, who may have been the builder. The part of the house within the outbuilding range looks of c. 1800 and was at one time the coachman's house.
House and outbuildings. Mid C19 front farmhouse modernised c. 2000. Unpainted render with corrugated sheet roof and rebuilt brick end stacks. Two storeys, 3-window range, of 12-pane sashes (replacing original 16-pane sashes) with concrete sills, and C19 centre door with large main panel and panel below, radiating-bar fanlight with marginal glazing. Raised rusticated arched door surround, ground floor window heads with keystones and channelled pilasters at angles, all new or renewed. Narrow railed forecourt with short spearhead rails on dwarf rubble wall, urns to stanchions. One centre gate and one at left end. Windowless left end wall.
Rear range of c. 1800, has double-fronted house with brick chimneys, one on ridge to right of door and other at left end. Unpainted render as on main houses. Two twelve-pane sashes with slate sills each floor and centre board door.
Continuous roofline to whitewashed rubble stone outbuildings uphill to left with grouted slate roof. First part is lofted with two brick-headed casement pair windows over elliptical-arched cart-entry and inserted C20 metal window. Coach-entry has painted tooled stone voussoirs to recessed arch with keystone. Further left is door with painted tooled stone recessed head with broad keystone. To left again is tall blank recess with slate sill and brick head, the head under eaves. Beyond is rear of barn with three vent loops. Attached lower pigsty to left has 2 vent loops and very small duck-house is attached at left end with lower roof, roofs all grouted.
Facing farm court to rear, buildings are of rubble stone with grouted slate roofs: small duck house to right has small door and tiny window in end wall and door on front. Next building is pigsty with 2 redbrick arched entries. Main range has grey limestone cornerstones and vent loop in end gable. Front has another loop to right; two doors with grey limestone sides and brick heads, C20 metal window between and a window with brick head and stone sill to left; then a sunk door with brick head to ground floor of lofted section; then outside steps further left to eaves-breaking loft door under slate hung gable; and finally a ground floor casement-pair window with brick head. Rear of house to left has asbestos sheet on roof, which is lower than outbuilding roof to right, 12-pane sash each floor with brick heads and lean to porch in angle to rear of mid C19 front range.
Interior not fully inspected: rear wing of house has an end fireplace with very broad cambered beam.
Included as a good group of house of 1860 with earlier attached house and outbuilding range. Group value with Thornton House.
Other nearby listed buildings