This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7439 / 51°44'37"N
Longitude: -4.9198 / 4°55'11"W
OS Eastings: 198522
OS Northings: 209055
OS Grid: SM985090
Mapcode National: GBR G8.R687
Mapcode Global: VH1RT.NFYH
Entry Name: Ashdale House
Listing Date: 19 May 2004
Last Amended: 19 May 2004
Source ID: 82714
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Some 600m SW of the church at Llangwm approached by a long drive from the S at Hill Mountain.
Built-Up Area: Hill Mountain
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
C18 gentry house, reduced in size in later C20. It was a gentry house called Dumpledale recorded from the C16 to 1808 as owned by the Jordan family, assessed at 4 hearths 1670. John Jordan was killed at the Battle of Banbury with Sir Henry Wogan, his son John sided with the Duke of Buckingham against the king and was beheaded at Haverfordwest. His son William served with Sir John Wogan in France and was killed at Tournai. The Rev. John Jordan died in 1808 and the estate was sold to George Lort-Phillips, there in the 1840s, who renamed it Ashdale, but left it for Lawrenny Castle in the 1850s. The house looks mid C18, presumably built for the Jordans, but had a big rear range that could have been older. Bought in 1973 by W. Lees of Haverfordwest who remodelled it, demolishing the rear parts and possibly the last two bays which had a big curved early C19 bow, resiting the doorway to make the present front a symmetrical five bays, where it had been seven. An early C19 view crudely drawn seems to show a double-pile house with the rear range ended to N by a projecting gabled bay with ground floor arcade and first floor bow window. None of this survives, the C20 postcard shows a bowed bay on the end of the front range and the rear is outshut, not double pile.
House, mid C18 altered 1970s. Roughcast rubble stone with slate close-eaved roof and brick end stacks. Two storeys and attic, five-window symmetrical front with three slate-hung hipped dormers, C20 6-pane sashes, C20 8-pane sashes to main floors, longer on ground floor, and centre door. Door is 6-panel with lattice tracery in overlight, in good mid C18 doorcase with Ionic half-columns carrying entablature sections with pulvinated friezes and overall dentil cornice. Slate sills except to window to right of door, original site of door, moved in 1970s. Outshut rear with 1970s rear windows including 12-pane stair light, and tall narrow gabled section at left, added in 1970s.
Interior mostly 1970s but good dog-leg stair with column newels, scrolled tread ends, turned column balusters, three per tread, and moulded rail. Attic has five C18 oak collar trusses. Although rear is said to have been reduced from a range of similar height to front range to present sloping roof there is some old plaster on the sloping underside of the roof at first floor rear that suggests some part was outshut. The main stair apparently had a further two flights up to the attic, that would have required a taller rear range, marks of removed third flight on first floor landing. Stairs to attic now in C20 rear corner section. First floor landing has two fielded panelled doors and one with bordered panels. Rear kitchen has square oak joists.
Included despite C20 remodelling as C18 gentry house with good original doorcase, staircase and roof.
Other nearby listed buildings