This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9942 / 51°59'39"N
Longitude: -3.7953 / 3°47'42"W
OS Eastings: 276835
OS Northings: 234382
OS Grid: SN768343
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JH7D
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.54GL
Entry Name: Belmont including front walls, railings and gate
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82870
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on E side of passage leading to Water Street.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Town house rebuilt in mid to later C19, certainly after 1848, possibly c1882. Recorded as untenanted in 1866, bought c1882 with Nos 2-10 by J James of No 12 and altered, possibly rebuilt, for him. Tenanted after 1882 by D SThomas, headmaster of the British school, assistant master at Llandovery College.The style and detail of ironwork (matched on No 10 and formerly on No 12) looks of the later C19. Restored 2001-2.
End of terrace house, of 3 storeys, 2 bays, a large gabled bay to left with bargeboards and finial and narrow entrance bay recessed to right. Slate gabled roof with new red brick chimney to left and bracketed eaves. Painted roughcast facade with plinth. Left hand projecting gabled bay has 3 storey canted bay window with broader ground floor, margin-glazed sashes and top close-eaved canted hipped roof. Blind Gothic narrow panel above. Windows of upper 2 floors are smaller with continuous sills and marginally glazed horned sashes, the side lights very narrow. Ground floor has moulded cornice and larger windows. Right hand bay has marginally glazed horned sash windows to upper floors over 4-panel door with plain rectangular overlight (and scrolled bracket), in openwork porch of diamond pattern timber trellis uprights flanking cast-iron thin fluted columns carrying pierced ironwork head (curved spandrels and rosettes).Timber cornice carrying low cast-iron rails to front and right, of pattern of intersected half circles with florid finials between bulbous angle posts and under plain top rail.
Left hand return of painted roughcast and plinth, deep bracketed eaves and aligned left hand windows of marginally glazed sashes. Lower 2-storey rear wing of rubble stone with slate deep-eaved roof. Window each floor set to right of centre with red brick voussoirs and marginally glazed sash windows. Smaller window to ground floor right possibly an altered door. Rubble stone rear with voussoired openings and various small plain sash windows.
To front and left of front garden is low rubble stone wall with chamfered coping and iron rails with cast-iron florid finials, and similar gate with dog-bars. Finials of rails are similar to those on balcony over front door and to those to rails in front of No. 10 adjoining.
Interior not inspected.
Included as a prominent Victorian town house with good later C19 character including fine iron porch and surviving original detail outside.
Other nearby listed buildings