This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9947 / 51°59'40"N
Longitude: -3.7963 / 3°47'46"W
OS Eastings: 276764
OS Northings: 234442
OS Grid: SN767344
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.JGZ7
Mapcode Global: VH5F3.44W5
Entry Name: Trafalgar House
Listing Date: 18 June 2004
Last Amended: 18 June 2004
Source ID: 82909
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Situated in centre of block between the King's Head and Garden Lane.
Community: Llandovery (Llanymddyfri)
Built-Up Area: Llandovery
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
House and shop of earlier C19 origins, possibly 1830s, altered in late C19. Recorded in 1810 as occupied by William Williams, currier, in 1836 owned by D. Lloyd Harries of Llandingat house, occupied by Elizabeth Price. In 1844-6 occupied by H Lewis, saddler. By c1851 it was part of school also at No 29 and this use continued into later C19. By 1892 occupied by C P Lewis. The Mace foodstore in later C20 when there was still a 4-pane sash to ground floor right, altered when split to 2 shops.
House and shop in terrace, lower than Waterloo House, Nos 2-4, higher than No 8. Three bays, 3 storeys with slate gabled roof with 3 skylights and red brick chimney stack to right. Close eaves. Painted stucco broad facade with long and short quoins to left and right. Four-pane small square horned sashes with painted heads under eaves to 2nd floor, larger 4-pane sash to first floor centre in moulded shouldered surround with vermiculated key, flanked by big later C19 canted timber oriels of 2-4-2-panes with panels below and dentil cornices over. Ground floor has large shopfront to left, including centre door and fixed-pane C20 horizontal window to shop to right (accessed via central door). Door and left shopfront in casing of late C19, with 3 panelled and part-fluted pilasters with carved capitals framing central doorway and left hand of shop front and carrying a fascia and dentil cornice between 2 big coved brackets with gabled tops. Shop glazing and recessed shop door, and centre door with overlight are C20.
Right hand return above roof of No 8 is rubble stone.
Included as a substantial stuccoed earlier C19 building with later C19 detail including casing of shopfront and first floor oriels.
Other nearby listed buildings