History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Southfield

A Grade II Listed Building in New Moat, Pembrokeshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8762 / 51°52'34"N

Longitude: -4.8471 / 4°50'49"W

OS Eastings: 204114

OS Northings: 223570

OS Grid: SN041235

Mapcode National: GBR CR.RSG2

Mapcode Global: VH1R8.X3WJ

Entry Name: Southfield

Listing Date: 15 October 2004

Last Amended: 15 October 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83181

Building Class: Domestic

Location: At the end of a drive some 700m S of Llys-y-fran.

County: Pembrokeshire

Town: Clarbeston Road

Community: New Moat (Y Mot)

Community: New Moat

Locality: Llys-y-fran

Traditional County: Pembrokeshire

Find accommodation in
Clarbeston

History

Gentry house rebuilt 1838-41 for the Philipps family. The estate is recorded from before 1562, when it was owned by Henry Jones of Haverfordwest, who was related to the Wogans, owners in earlier C16. His son Thomas was Steward to Sir William Wogan of Wiston. His heiress married Thomas Philipps of Velindre, a grandson of Morgan Philipps of Picton. From the C17 to later C19 owned by Philipps to John Philipps, died 1894. The latter established the tanyard at Southfield Villa and was a prominent Methodist, founding at least four chapels and two schools. Passed to his sister Letitia Melchior, to her grandson W. Melchior James, whose descendant is the present owner. The end stacks and front stucco may be later C19, but appear in the earliest photographs, c 1900.
The older house was probably not on this site but on the site of the former farmhouse below, in which various old timbers and altered stonework were found in restoration c. 2002.

Exterior

Gentry house, unpainted stucco with hipped slate eaves roof and large later C19 yellow brick end stacks. Two-storey, three-window range of hornless 12-pane sashes and centre door. Slate sills. Door is 8-panel with overlight and has panelled reveal. Late C20 plain wood doorcase, replacing one similar. Raised quoins and keystones to windows. Left side three-window range: one bay is end wall of main house, stuccoed with similar sash each floor, to right of chimney. Rear wing to left of exposed rubble stone, 2-window range of similar sashes, door to ground floor right in brick lean-to added porch. Stone left end stack. Window have recessed stone voussoirs, raised keystones, and slate sills. Rubble stone end wall, slightly outshut to left. Centre long 18-pane stair light with stone voussoirs and slate sill, outshut to left has small 12-pane sash and 9-pane sash above.
Right end wall of main range is also rubble stone with hipped lean-to to right, running back as single storey range. One short window in end wall, three in side wall, and one in rear wall. Rear is hipped at angle and has short gabled return framing one side of opening into small rear court.
Rear court has whitewashed rubble walls with varied eaves levels. Rear of single storey tange has gable to right with door, door and window to left. Rear of main house has slight outshut with 12-pane sash to ground floor, 16-pane sash to first floor left and slight projection with higher eaves in angle to right with hipped roof, the side pitch carried down from roof of rear wing. Pointed stair window with Gothic intersecting glazing bars. Rear of rear wing has high eaves to centre with roof carried down each side over projections with roofs hipped on inward facing angles: one to left over the stair projection, the other to right larger. Between the projections, window with pair of small 12-pane sashes with stone voussoirs to upper floor. Projection to right has whitewashed blank end wall facing gable of single-storey range, and rear is the outshut part of the end wall of the rear wing.

Interior

Interior not inspected. Description from photographs taken during restoration. Double half-glazed doors into entrance hall, six-panel doors to each side, moulded hall arch on moulded corbels. Stair opposite entry with narrow well and 6-panel door to cellar. Staircase with continuously ramped rail, scrolled at foot. Stick balusters, scrolled tread ends. Principal rooms have panelled shutters. Plain C19 chimneypieces with cast-iron grates. Stone winding stair to cellar. Rear wing has service stair, dog-leg with stick balusters and turned newel.

Reasons for Listing

Included for its special interest as an earlier C19 smaller gentry house in late Georgian style, little altered.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.