History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Telephone call box opposite Nos 1 & 2 Orley House

A Grade II Listed Building in Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog, Wrexham

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.9374 / 52°56'14"N

Longitude: -3.1858 / 3°11'9"W

OS Eastings: 320398

OS Northings: 338437

OS Grid: SJ203384

Mapcode National: GBR 6Y.LSR4

Mapcode Global: WH78B.1F6G

Entry Name: Telephone call box opposite Nos 1 & 2 Orley House

Listing Date: 21 December 2004

Last Amended: 21 December 2004

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 83254

Building Class: Communications

Location: On the S side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane leading up to the church from the village. On the edge of the hillside overlooking the main village of Glyn Ceiriog

County: Wrexham

Community: Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

Community: Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

Locality: Glyn Ceiriog

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid Glyn Ceiriog

History

A K6 telephone kiosk of the type designed by Giles Gilbert Scott, architect of London, introduced by the GPO in 1936. Foundry plate on rear, blank panel with maker's name inscribed CARRON COMPANY, Stirlingshire.

Exterior

A K6 type square red kiosk of cast iron, on a moulded plinth. The domed roof has four lunettes containing embossed George VI crowns over red lettered opals (reading TELEPHONE) and ventilation slits. The sides and door have raised surrounds with marginal bars to horizontal glazing.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a traditional telephone box in a prominent location and close to the listed workers' cottages at Nos 1 and 2 Orley House.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II 1 Orley House
    Located on the N side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane which leads up to the church from the village. In a high position on the hillside.
  • II 2 Orley House
    Located on the N side of a narrow unmetalled lane which leads W from the lane which leads up to the church from the village. In a high position on the hillside.
  • II Church of St Ffraid
    On the E side of a lane which runs N from the centre of Glyn Ceiriog. The lane rises steeply and the church is in a prominent position on the hillside.
  • II The Vicarage
    Reached by a driveway off the N end of the High Street and surrounded by glebeland.
  • II* Ceiriog Memorial Institute including retaining wall and railings
    Located towards the S end of the High Street. The ground rises to the W and the building is slightly raised above road level.
  • II Locomotive Shed, Glyn Valley Tramway
    Located towards the W end of New Road, approx 100m from the main crossroads in the village. The shed is behind a hedge in the grounds of a Works Depot.
  • II Glyn Valley Hotel
    Located in a prominent position in the centre of the village, on the W side of the main crossroads.
  • II Grave Monument to Rev Robert Ellis (Cynddelw)
    Located in the Baptist Cemetery which borders the B4579 road, just outside and to the SE of Glyn Ceiriog village.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.