This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.331 / 52°19'51"N
Longitude: -3.8597 / 3°51'35"W
OS Eastings: 273370
OS Northings: 271952
OS Grid: SN733719
Mapcode National: GBR 92.V6B8
Mapcode Global: VH4FW.1NWX
Entry Name: Mount Hazel
Listing Date: 23 December 2004
Last Amended: 23 December 2004
Source ID: 83414
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down track running SW off Pontrhydygroes to Llanafan road some 500m SW of junction with B4343.
Town: Ystrad Meurig
Community: Ysbyty Ystwyth
Community: Ysbyty Ystwyth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Villa, mid to later C19, probably built for Captain John Owen, lead-mine manager. Similar to three other villas in Pontrhydygroes - Tan Gelli, Glyn Berws and Bronygair, all built at the time of the expansion associated with the lead-mining industry. Occupied in later C19 by Captain John Owen 1840-1907, mine manager at Frongoch and Cwmystwyth mines. He lived latterly at Mount Pleasant, Pontrhydygroes and was the contractor for the rebuilding of the bridge over the Ystwyth, 1893. Occupied in 1920s by Dr John Morgan JP (born 1853), medical officer for upper district of the Tregaron Union and Rheidol district of the Aberystwyth Union in 1926.
Villa, coursed rubble stone with deep eaved slate roof and stone end left end stack. Right stack missing. Paired brackets to eaves. Two storeys, 3-window range of large 12-pane hornless sashes with stone voussoirs, slate sills and stone hoodmoulds to lower two windows. Recessed centre door in ornate wooden doorcase. Four-panel door, the top panels arched and large overlight with coloured glass margins. Panelled reveal, soffit and front panel under canopy. Doorcase has 3 panels to each pier, otsize stucco brackets and flat painted stone top with moulded edges. Large slate slab threshold. End walls have deep verges with paired brackets.
E end has similar 12-pane sash with hoodmould each floor to right. W end has C20 render above ground floor, small stone outbuilding with added lean-to porch to left and small window to right with stone voussoirs. C20 window and porch openings. Corniced stone chimney on right end. First floor has 12-pane sash to right of centre and attic has C20 window probably replacing similar sash.
Rear has 4-pane horned sash windows and a small added conservatory in front of door, and three first floor renewed 12-pane windows, all with stone voussoirs and slate sills.
Entrance hall with hall arch. Principal room each side with panelled shutters.
Included as a substantial Victorian villa in late Georgian style with good surviving detail. One of a group of similar villas in the area.
Other nearby listed buildings