This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.189 / 52°11'20"N
Longitude: -3.3554 / 3°21'19"W
OS Eastings: 307436
OS Northings: 255392
OS Grid: SO074553
Mapcode National: GBR YQ.4BB2
Mapcode Global: VH69T.S7GR
Entry Name: Carneddau, including attached cow house
Listing Date: 20 January 2005
Last Amended: 20 January 2005
Source ID: 83487
Location: An isolated farmstead approximately 2.5km WNW of Llansantffraed in Elwel, reached by minor roads and long farm road N of the A481.
Community: Glascwm (Glasgwm)
Locality: Llansantffraed in Elwel
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Probably built in the late C17, and one of the earliest farmhouses in the district to have a central entrance, and shown on the 1837 Tithe map with cow house at the downhill end. A rear wing was added, probably in the mid C19 since it is not shown on the Tithe map, and the house is shown in its present form on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
A 2-storey rubble-stone house with slate roof, rebuilt rendered stack to the R and tall stone stack to the end of the rear wing. Openings are offset to the L side. The central segmental-headed entrance has a half-glazed boarded door. It has a small window upper L of the doorway, a tall window carried up to the eaves to the R of the doorway, and a small pantry window further R. In the L-hand gable, where the ground level is higher, is a blocked upper-storey window. The rear is built against a steep bank and has been rebuilt in blockwork on the R side of the rear wing. Facing the downhill side the rear wing has a boarded door, a wooden cross window to the R, and a boarded-up window to the L directly below a 4-pane window in the upper storey.
The lower cow house, at the downhill end, is also rubble stone under a slate roof, and has 3 boarded doors. The gable end has a weatherboarded loft with boarded door.
Not inspected but said by RCAHM Wales to retain a post-and-panel partition.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved small vernacular farmstead retaining definite early character, and forming a strong farm group with the barn and stable.
Other nearby listed buildings