This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5041 / 52°30'14"N
Longitude: -3.5187 / 3°31'7"W
OS Eastings: 297010
OS Northings: 290663
OS Grid: SN970906
Mapcode National: GBR 9J.H6BP
Mapcode Global: VH5BQ.YBN6
Entry Name: Belle Vue
Listing Date: 18 February 2005
Last Amended: 18 February 2005
Source ID: 83694
Location: Located in the centre of the village, opposite the church.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably C17 originally, a 3-unit lobby-entry house of timber-framed construction, the box-panelling visible in the rear wall and internal partitions. The house was refronted in close-studding probably c1800; the small-scantling posts are continuous with the structure of the gabled attic dormers, and the doors and windows are contemporary. A stable was added to the L end in the later C19, possibly when it became a Public House. It is labelled 'The Belle Vue Inn' on the 1886 Ordnance Survey. Documentary records show that it was sold to the Montgomery Brewery Company in 1890. In 1910 it was sold again, possibly reverting to private ownership. The R unit was a separate cottage for some time, known as Bwthyn Bach. Its front room was used as a shop, the oriel bay windows probably contemporary with the refronting of the house c1800. This shop is shown separately from the Inn on the 1886 Ordnance Survey. It was occupied by a saddler until 1945.
Three-unit lobby-entry house of one-and-a-half storeys, the entrance to L of centre. The front is close-studded on a high rubble stone plinth. Small-scantling posts above and below the mid-rail, and slightly wider full-height posts defining the bays; diagonal braces; brick nogging, the bricks laid on edge. Old slate roof with overhanging eaves; external stone stack to R end with brick shaft; brick ridge stack to L of centre. The main entrance contains a panelled door within a doorcase, with a dentilled canopy supported on brackets. This is flanked by 12-pane hornless sash windows within moulded frames. To the R is a shop front with panelled door between oriel canted bay windows, under a continuous canopy with dentilled frieze. The oriel windows may have been replaced; each has a narrow horizontal metal rail and they do not open. To the upper storey are 3 gabled half-dormers with plain barge boards, aligned over the 2 ground floor windows and the shop door. They are also hornless sashes, though mainly without glazing bars to the lower sashes. A ramp and brick steps with timber treads lead up to the front door; 3 steps lead up to the shop door. These are surrounded by a cobbled pavement. The N gable end is rendered to each side of the external stack.
The rear is built into the bank and has a lower wing. To the R of the wing, the main range is weather-boarded and painted, with an area of inscribed plaster towards the top; it contains a narrow boarded door with small light. Continuous outshut to L of wing, weather-boarded over brick. Its N end has a boarded door and small window above, probably C20. The rear wing is constructed of random stone under a slate roof with red brick dressings; small brick eaves stack. Its S side has a planked door to R and wooden casement to L both under segmental heads; C20 gabled dormer above the latter, also with a wooden casement. The N side of the wing has a window and gabled dormer above, both in similar style.
Brick lofted stable added to L end of house, the slate roof continuous with the house. Late C20 arched brick buttress to SE angle. It was converted to a garage in the 1950s and has double boarded doors to front and a boarded loft hatch above. The S gable has a part-lit boarded loft door under segmental brick head reached by stone steps. To the rear is a boarded door under segmental brick head to L with loft hatch to upper R.
The hall is to the R of the lobby entrance, the stone fireplace with shallow-chamfered timber lintel, the hood slightly tapered. Inglenook with settle in L of fireplace, with salt niche to rear wall. To the R of the fireplace is a boarded door leading to the staircase, which is not quite in its original position. The ceiling has 2 shallow stop-chamfered spine beams and plain joists. Box-framed partition wall with diagonal braces opposite fireplace, with boarded door to L; the doorway was originally to the R and would have led to a heated inner room. The boarded door and that leading into the hall from the entrance both have hatches for serving drinks. The box-framing continues to the rear wall of the hall and is partly visible inside the brick outshut. The panels have wattle infill with laths and lime render in places. The former inner room was used as a shop from the C19-20 and has a Victorian interior. Two shallow-chamfered spine beams to ceiling which may have been replaced. Victorian cast iron fireplace in moulded timber surround to end wall. Dado panelling to walls, and suspended oak floor; boarded partition to rear with 2 narrow doorways leading into outshut; the R doorway leads to a Victorian staircase at right angles. Some box-framing is visible to the original rear wall of the house, including a short stub wall at right-angles, which could relate to an earlier wing or lean-to. To the L of the lobby entrance is the current kitchen, formerly the outer room. There is an aga against the chimney, which probably blocks an earlier fireplace.
The rear wing is divided axially by a partition; the ceiling has 2 shallow-chamfered spine beams with run-out stops and plain joists. To the L of the gable wall is a large brick fireplace with bake-oven with cast iron door; to its L is a large copper wash-tub in brick seating. To the R of the gable wall are 2 niches, possibly for storing beer. On the opposite wall, against the hall fireplace, is evidence for a further brick bake-oven, mainly infilled. Against this, a tall chamfered post extending to the 1st floor could be the newel post of the original staircase. There is some pitched flooring in the rear wing and outshut, that in the pantry laid in a diaper pattern.
From the hall, the C19 timber staircase is straight but curves round towards the top; it has plain balustrading and a moulded handrail, but has been enclosed by a later partition. Marks on the 1st floor show the position of the earlier staircase. The 3 rooms upstairs have been sub-divided by C20 partitions and some timber-work is concealed. The S bedroom has a small fireplace. The box-framed partition between the central and N rooms is exposed and has a tie-beam truss with collar and struts, and a contemporary central doorway. There are carpenter's marks on the S face of the truss. One lapped purlin is visible, the upper one concealed. The tapering fireplace hood is of stone to the lower part, but is timber-framed above. Over the former shop, the N room is Victorian in character, with oak floor boards laid over earlier flooring. Marks in the floor also suggest an earlier staircase. The 1st floor fireplace is now covered over.
The stable retains a hay rack against the N wall; much of the cobbled floor was taken up when it was converted to a garage, but some is retained to the rear. The N wall was originally external and is weather-boarded within the stable, but the timber-framing is partly extant in the loft, as front but the panels are infilled with vertical wattles and daub. Simple tie-beam truss, pegged and numbered.
Listed as a C17 vernacular house of good quality, character and detail, the new front of c1800 of interest for its late use of timber-framing, and which relates to its use as a shop and inn.
Other nearby listed buildings