This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9401 / 52°56'24"N
Longitude: -4.0211 / 4°1'15"W
OS Eastings: 264275
OS Northings: 339989
OS Grid: SH642399
Mapcode National: GBR 5V.LTYX
Mapcode Global: WH55N.6CFD
Entry Name: 2 Pen-trwyn-garnedd
Listing Date: 25 February 2005
Last Amended: 25 February 2005
Source ID: 83978
Location: Set alongside the NW side of the A487(T) on the SW approach to the hamlet of Tan-y-bwlch.
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Late C19 cottages. Following the death of William Gruffydd Oakeley of Plas Tan-y-bwlch in 1835, the estate was left to his widow Louisa Jane Oakeley and then on to William Edward Oakeley, William Gruffydd's nephew. Louisa suddenly left Maentwrog in 1868 and did not return before her death in 1878. The estate was therefore left under the management of William Edward Oakeley from 1869 onwards and despite the depletion of the family fortune and the decline in the slate industry towards the end of the C19, he embarked on a programme of rebuilding and improvement of the estate. He rebuilt many of the houses in the village and also extended the village with the erection of several new properties to the S and W end of the village. These cottages are similar in style to other cottages built at this time.
Belongs to a group of:
1 & 2 Pen-trwyn-garnedd.
Two storey pair of late C19 cottages, in gothic style, built of roughly coursed rubble masonry with large stones as lintels. Slate roof with overhanging eaves and verges; central grouped stack of 4 square piers. Doors are boarded and the windows are slightly recessed top-hung timber casements of 8-panes; all openings have shaped labels.
Located at the R (NE) end of the range, this house has the doorway offset to far R and a single ground and first floor window to L; the first floor window in a gabled half dormer that breaks the eaves line.
The interior was not inspected at the time of the survey (July 2003).
Listed as a little altered late C19 cottage with strong elements of the local Plas Tan-y-bwlch estate character and an outlying component of the estate.
Other nearby listed buildings