History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Clochfaen Cottage

A Grade II Listed Building in Llangurig, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.3944 / 52°23'39"N

Longitude: -3.6089 / 3°36'32"W

OS Eastings: 290617

OS Northings: 278589

OS Grid: SN906785

Mapcode National: GBR 9D.Q83P

Mapcode Global: VH5C8.D2GT

Entry Name: Clochfaen Cottage

Listing Date: 24 March 2005

Last Amended: 18 October 2005

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 84290

Location: Located on the hillside above the house, and reached by a track which passes the house and bends round at a sharp angle.

County: Powys

Community: Llangurig

Community: Llangurig

Locality: Clochfaen

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llangurig

History

A service block in Arts & Crafts style, consisting of garages with cottages over, and adjacent stables. Dated 1912. The architect is unknown: W.A.S. Benson extended and remodelled the house at Clochfaen but is not thought to have worked on the estate prior to his involvement with the house 1913-15.

Exterior

Large asymmetrical 6-window block of 2 storeys with attics containing garages and cottages. Constructed of rock-faced random stone under red tile roofs with blue brick end stacks; slate-hung gable ends; dressed stone string course to 1st floor. The windows are 2-light small-pane wooden casements; the attic has tile-hung dormers with hipped roofs. Advanced section to L of centre containing 3 garages, each with double boarded part-lit doors with small-panes, under a continuous slate lintel. Above the central garage is a red sandstone tablet with heraldic emblem and '1912' in relief. The advanced section is 3-window above, with single dormer to L and double dormer to R of attic storey. The building is 1-window to L of advanced section and 2-window to R. To the L is a boarded door with adjoining casement window, both of which have small-pane overlights. To the R of the advanced section is a single doorway with overlight, R of which is a pair of double boarded doors; the attic has single dormers. Rear has short gabled wing towards centre with slate-hanging. To its L, the block is 2-window with attic dormers, but the ground floor is cut into the bank. Elevation not visible to R of wing, but the eaves line projects down.

The adjoining stable block is single-storey with attic, of rock-faced random stone under a red tiled roof, with
stone ridge stack offset to L. Split doors to centre and R, both with small-pane overlights, the central doorway flanked by short wide small-pane lights; to the L is a boarded door with adjacent 2-light small-pane casement. To the attic, above the central doorway, is a boarded loft door in full-height gabled dormer, tile-hung to sides.

Interior

Interior not seen at resurvey.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a large and well-detailed Arts & Crafts service building retaining its character, and for group value with Clochfaen House.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Clochfaen
    On the hillside above the west bank of the Wye. Approximately 1.3km from Llangurig village, and reached from a by-road which runs south along the west side of the river.
  • II Penybont & Glanyrafon, including forecourt wall
    In Llangurig, to the E of the church, at the side of the by-road that runs S along the Wye Valley; immediately below the junction with the main A44. Penybont fronts the road and Glanyrafon is at right
  • II Former Coach-house at Penybont
    In Llangurig, to the E of the church; close to the junction between the by-road to the S and the main A44. It is at right angles to the rear of Penybont to which it is linked by a stone wall with rou
  • II* Church of St Curig
    On the SW side of the village, reached from the main road and set down towards the N bank of the River Wye.
  • II Memorial to Chevalier Lloyd
    In the centre of the village. Located on the pavement, immediately E of the lychgate.
  • II Milestone
    In the centre of the village, on the N side of the main road, immediately R of the water-fountain.
  • II Lychgate at Church of St Curig
    On the S side of the A44 and forming the main entrance to the church.
  • II Memorial Fountain
    On the N side of the main road in the centre of Llangurig, to the E of the church. Flanked by low rubble walls retaining the village green.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.