This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8236 / 51°49'24"N
Longitude: -3.6756 / 3°40'31"W
OS Eastings: 284617
OS Northings: 215209
OS Grid: SN846152
Mapcode National: GBR Y9.W8Y4
Mapcode Global: VH5FY.7FQD
Entry Name: Ongur Uchaf (aka Rhongyr Uchaf) including attached barn range and garden walls with gates
Listing Date: 29 April 2005
Last Amended: 29 April 2005
Source ID: 84383
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated SE of Craig-y-nos and SW of Penwyllt, near the E bank of the River Tawe and reached from a narrow lane branching off the road to Penwyllt.
Traditional County: Brecknockshire
A family tree of the Powells of Rhongyr Uchaf farm shows the family in residence from 1738; prior to that there is reference to occupation by Jonnetach Rees in 1688. The house is thought to have been originally a longhouse and developed over 3 periods: a C17 uphill section with former kitchen and bedroom above attached to former cowshed and stable, later rebuilt; a re-shaping including a new frontage of c 1840-50 and the addition of a downhill wing with parlour, central staircase and 2 storeys of bedrooms making 6 in all; an extension to rear in c 1870 comprising a ground floor room - possibly for meetings - and dug-out basement containing rear kitchen and dairy. There is a record of the purlins and ridge of the older 2-storey house being visible in the gable end above the farm range. Barn has datestone of 1829.
Tall farmhouse with Georgian frontage. Built of stone rendered and painted to front, unpainted to side. 3 storeys. Nearly symmetrical frontage though the uphill third - incorporating the earlier house - is blank; the main section has a 3-window range of small pane windows, formerly sashes, replaced; Welsh slate roof with rendered end stacks. Centre left moulded wooden porch with posts, stone flags and step and panelled boarded door. Attached to right is a former farm range of rubble with yellow brick segmental arches to the ground floor openings, now converted to storage and office To rear the roof sweeps down at a slightly flatter pitch over the extension, comprising ground floor and basement; rising from the roof are two very tall stacks of dressed stone. Rear elevation is of unrendered rubble with dressed stone surrounds to openings . On either side are large 16-pane sashes; central door with overlight; basement windows have cambered heads. The house backs onto fields but the front has a divided walled garden with ornamental gatepiers with urn finials and iron gates.
Interior is said to have central hall with oak staircase which rises gently before a landing with sharp turn left. Front former kitchen to right has large open fireplace with bread oven; ceiling with cross beam and the exposed joists of the room above which has wide oak floorboards. Panelled window shutters retained.
Listed, notwithstanding replacement windows to facade, as an early farmhouse of substantial scale re-planned in mid and later C19.
Other nearby listed buildings