This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2637 / 53°15'49"N
Longitude: -4.0895 / 4°5'22"W
OS Eastings: 260733
OS Northings: 376116
OS Grid: SH607761
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.HHC
Mapcode Global: WH542.47X9
Entry Name: Green Edge
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84718
Location: In a terrace set back from the street.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Nos 1-7 Green Edge were built in 1825 by John Hall, architect of Bangor, for the Corporation of Beaumaris, the beginning of a plan to revive the fortunes of the town by turning it into a fashionable resort. The development comprised 6 houses to the front and a 7th house in a rear wing. The 1829 town plan shows no rear wings to Nos 1-5, which must therefore have been later additions. No 6 was the premises of the Beaumaris Book Society. The society had been formed in 1802 to operate a lending library to subscribers, and met at the Bull's Head Inn on Castle Street. After its move to Green Edge the premises became known as the Beaumaris 'news and billiards room', and is shown as such on the 1829 town plan. In 1885 the original society metamorphosed into the Royal Anglesey Yacht Club, who still occupy Nos 6 and 7. The houses, including No 6 which had its entrance in the side wall, were planned in a similar way with entrance hall leading to a full-height stair. Verandas were added in the second half of the C19, and are shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey.
Belongs to a group of 1-7 Green Edge.
A late Georgian symmetrical 3-storey terrace of 12 bays, of which the central 4 bays are brought forward under a shallow pediment, and built as 3 reflected pairs of 2-bay houses. Walls are pebble-dashed with rusticated quoins, under a hipped roof of large slates. It has large transverse stone stacks R and L of centre, a smaller transverse stone stack set back from the R end and stone stack in-line and set back from the L end. Across the full width of the front is a hipped veranda with slate roof on wooden posts, latticework infill and arched openings. Windows are 12-pane hornless sashes in the lower and middle storeys. Similar smaller 6-pane sashes are in the upper storey, except the L-hand bay which is blind with painted glazing bars, and the bay set back from the R end (No 6), which has a 4-pane sash window set slightly higher and beneath a gable. Entrances are in the inner bays in each pair of houses, and set slightly further inward than the windows above. All have 4-pane overlights. No 1 has a panel door with flush lower panels and glazed upper panels. Nos 2 and 3 have panel doors with flush lower panels. Nos 4 and 5 are similar, but with fielded panels over lower flush panels. The entrance to No 6 is in the end wall and, in place of a doorway, it has a sash window in its inner bay, in line with the upper storey windows.
The asymmetrical 4-bay R end wall is dominated by its wide full-height canted bay on the L side, which has 12-pane hornless sash windows in each facet in the lower and middle storeys and, in the upper storey, 6-pane hornless sash window in the R facet, blind central facet but with painted glazing bars, and replacement window in the L facet. Windows are otherwise 12-pane hornless sashes in lower and middle storeys, shorter 6-pane sash windows in the upper storey, except the bay L of centre which has a blind window with painted glazing bars. In the 2 central bays are a hipped lean-to porch of c1900, spanning the original entrances to No 6 (the news and billiards room) and No 7. The porch has a single entrance with Tudor arch and sunk spandrels, flanked by 3-light windows with wooden mullions and transoms and leaded glazing. Half-lit doors to the R and L inside the porch, and a 2-light window in the R-hand return, have similar glazing.
The 2-window L end wall (No 1) is slightly splayed. It has 12-pane horned sash windows in the lower and middle storeys and shorter 6-pane horned sash windows in the upper storey.
In the rear elevation, the main range has mainly sash windows similar to the front. Each pair also has a 2-storey gabled wing. The wing behind 1 and 2 retains its original end stack, has replacement openings to No 1 (where it has been converted to a separate dwelling known as 1A) and sash windows to No 2. It has been further extended and, in 1A, retains 16-pane and 9-pane hornless sashes.
No 3 has replacement small-pane sashes in the rear wing, and No 4 retains 12-pane hornless sashes in the upper storey and replacement window and door below. In No 5 the rear wing is a lean-to against the 3-storey No 7 in the end elevation. No 7 has a lower 2-storey rear wing with pebble-dashed walls, a roof of large slates, and middle-storey escape doors. On its L side, in line with the front elevation of No 7, is a 2-storey hipped lean-to with roof of small slates and small-pane horned sash windows.
A full-height open-well stairs has a wreathed handrail and plain balusters. The interior retains panelled doors and panelled shutters.
Nos 1-7 Green Edge are listed grade II* for special architectural interest as a fine and well-preserved early C19 terrace of houses in a prominent location, and for the contribution to the historical integrity of Beaumaris sea front and the setting of Beaumaris Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings