This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2641 / 53°15'50"N
Longitude: -4.0937 / 4°5'37"W
OS Eastings: 260450
OS Northings: 376170
OS Grid: SH604761
Mapcode National: GBR JN82.7KC
Mapcode Global: WH542.26WZ
Entry Name: Church Cottage
Listing Date: 23 September 1950
Last Amended: 13 July 2005
Source ID: 84767
Location: Fronting the street in a block of buildings between Little Lane and Rating Row, and opposite the parish church.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Community: Beaumaris (Biwmares)
Built-Up Area: Beaumaris
Traditional County: Anglesey
Nos 28-30 Church Street were built in the late C18 or early C19 by the Baron Hill estate and are shown as a pair on the 1829 town plan. No 30 was the Rectory.
Belongs to a group of 28-30 Church Street.
A reflected pair of 2½-storey late Georgian houses pebble-dashed to the R (No 28), scraped to reveal rubble stone with flat stone arches to the L (No 30), slate roof with roughcast end stacks, pebble-dashed stack R of centre and brick stack L of centre. Entrances are offset to the outer sides, of which No 28 has a recessed panelled door with panelled reveals and tripartite overlight, and No 30 has a C19 replacement panelled door in a shallow gabled porch canopy with barge boards. Outer bays have tripartite small-pane sash windows in both storeys. The wider inner bays are gabled and have small-pane horned tripartite sash windows in the lower storey, 12-pane horned sash to a first-floor canted oriel window, and small round-headed sash window with radial glazing in the attic. Above the entrance to No 30 is a square stone tablet with low-relief Celtic cross. Between the 2 houses is a passage under a flat stone arch, above which is a large bullseye window with rock-faced dressings with radial glazing (externally belonging to No 30 but internally with interlocking plan). No 30 has a 2-light flat roof dormer to the L. No 28 has a larger 3-light flat roof dormer to the R.
The houses also have reflected rear 3-window elevations, with additions and alterations. No 28 is whitened rubble. It has a central stair window with 12-pane hornless sash. To its L is a 16-pane sash window and a lean-to against the garden wall on the L, first shown on the 1861 town plan, housing pantry and coal house, which is at the back of the kitchen and has 2 boarded doors and 2 casement windows. On the R side of the stair is an added hipped lean-to with 12-pane sash window. In the upper storey is a 16-pane sash window to the L, a 4-pane horizontal sliding sash window to the R of centre and, set back on the R, a 12-pane sash window. A central wide flat roof dormer has 4-light replacement window.
No 30 has a similar arrangement but with more alteration. The central stair window has been replaced by French doors to a lean-to conservatory, to the R of which are 16-pane and 12-pane hornless sash windows in lower and upper storey respectively. On the L side of the stair is a replacement half-glazed back door. Set back further L are 12-pane sash windows in each storey and a smaller 12-pane horizontal-sliding sash window over the passage. The attic has 2 horizontal-sliding small-pane hornless sashes to flat roof dormers, and an added skylight. A 2-storey rear wing on the R side houses a kitchen in the lower storey. It has a panelled door to the L under a 4-pane overlight, and 20-pane hornless sash window to its R. The upper storey has a small-pane canted oriel window on corbels. Further R is a 1-storey projection, housing pantry and coal house, and a further projection behind with 2-light windows and boarded door in the end wall, all under a pent slate roof.
The entrance opens to a late C19 vestibule with half-glazed door and overlight. Rooms to the R and L have simple wooden fireplace surrounds. At the end of the entrance hall is a doorway with reed-moulded doorcase and fielded-panel door, leading to the stair hall. The open-well stair has plain balusters, and square moulded newels with orb finials and pendants. A straight closed-string attic staircase has a simple balustrade to the attic landing, where there are also C19 panelled cupboards. The interior retains panelled doors to the main rooms and boarded and plain panel doors to the attic.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved Georgian house of definite quality and character in a prominent position opposite the parish church, and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Church Street.
Other nearby listed buildings