This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9277 / 52°55'39"N
Longitude: -4.1326 / 4°7'57"W
OS Eastings: 256743
OS Northings: 338827
OS Grid: SH567388
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.MQLR
Mapcode Global: WH55L.HNBX
Entry Name: Twb Lemon (Lemon Tub) and house/office
Listing Date: 26 September 2005
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85342
Location: On the corner with Chandlers Place and the SE end of a block of buildings fronting the street.
Built-Up Area: Porthmadog
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Built in the mid C19 and shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate survey and 1888 Ordnance Survey. The front was later remodelled with new shop window and oriel windows to the upper storey.
A shop and house (or office) of 2 storeys and attic, of whitened scribed roughcast front, renewed slate roof and end stone stacks. The late C19 shop front is framed by panelled pilasters with stylised foliage capitals, above which are encaustic figure tiles at the ends of the fascia, which has a later fascia superimposed. The cornice has a frieze of 4-leaf and ballflower decoration. Small-pane shop windows, over a later marbled stallboard, and a central overlight frame the recessed entrance, which has a glazed door incorporating a lower faceted panel. The upper storey has 2 canted oriel windows with 2-pane sashes and cornices similar to the shop front. In the attic are round-headed 2-light casement windows under gables with fretwork scrolls.
The R gable end of is of slate rubble laid in rough courses. It has double-panelled doors and overlight to the R side (the original house entrance). In the upper storey is a 12-pane sash window to the R and 2-pane sash window to the L. The attic has a 12-pane horned sash window to the L of centre.
A lower 2-storey 6-window rear wing, of slate-stone rubble laid in rough courses, faces Chandlers Place (occupied by Eric Owen locksmith, and Trevor Warner Audio-Visual). In the lower storey are 12-pane horned sash windows, and openings have raised cement surrounds. From the L end is a panel door, 2 windows, replacement door, window, replacement door, and a window (formerly a doorway) at the R end. The upper storey has 5 small-pane horned sash windows and a similar paired window at the R end. In the gable end is a former upper-storey loading door converted to a window, under a projecting gable over the former pulley block. On the R side an outshut has double doors under a stone lintel.
The rear of the main range has skylights, and a 2-light window on the R side in the middle storey.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a shop and town house retaining unusually complete late C19 character and detail, including a fine shop front of the period.
Other nearby listed buildings