This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9398 / 52°56'23"N
Longitude: -4.1413 / 4°8'28"W
OS Eastings: 256197
OS Northings: 340195
OS Grid: SH561401
Mapcode National: GBR 5P.LVWF
Mapcode Global: WH55L.CC5L
Entry Name: House, including steps to R-hand
Listing Date: 30 March 1951
Last Amended: 26 September 2005
Source ID: 85347
Location: A terraced house on the E side of the Market Hall.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Tremadog was the creation of William Madocks (1773-1828), the first phase of which was built in the first decade of the C19 century. No 1 High Street belongs to this first phase of development. Nos 3-7 were added in the mid C19 and are shown on the 1871 Tremadog estate plan and 1888 Ordnance Survey.
Belongs to a group of 1-7 High Street, Tremadog.
Three cottages built in a single range, of squared local quarried stone laid in regular courses, graded slate roof on projecting eaves and with added skylights, and 3 stone stacks. No 1 is a 2-window cottage and abuts the Market Hall on the L side. Its entrance on the L side has a replacement half-glazed door. Windows are replacement 12-pane hornless sashes. Behind is a 1-storey rear wing with end stone stack and replaced windows. A vertical joint separates No 1 from the remainder of the row, which is later.
No 3-5, originally 2 properties, has a replacement boarded door L of centre, a window to its L in an original opening, and 3 altered windows to the R replacing a former shop front, which are under original slate lintels but have later brick jambs. All lower-storey windows are modern. In the upper storey are 2 small 12-pane sash windows. At the rear are replacement windows and an added dormer.
No 7 is a double-fronted cottage with central half-glazed fielded-panel door with marginal glazing. Windows are 2-pane sashes with sills. On the R side are communal stone steps. The rear has replacement door and windows in the lower storey and horizontal-sliding sashes in the upper storey.
Listed as one of a short row of houses, notable for its use of local stone, retaining definite C19 character and for its contribution to the historical integrity of Tremadog.
Other nearby listed buildings