This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.9793 / 52°58'45"N
Longitude: -2.7751 / 2°46'30"W
OS Eastings: 348055
OS Northings: 342716
OS Grid: SJ480427
Mapcode National: GBR 7G.JBDX
Mapcode Global: WH89G.BCSW
Entry Name: Higher Lanes Farmhouse
Listing Date: 20 October 2005
Last Amended: 20 October 2005
Source ID: 85467
Location: On the NW side of a minor road and apprximately 1.8km SW of Higher Wych, immediately W of a junction with a minor road to Tybroughton.
Locality: Higher Wych
Traditional County: Flintshire
Iscoyd Park was purchased in 1843 by Philip Lake Godsal, a Cheltenham coach builder, and comprised an estate of 202 acres (82 hectares) including mansion house with park, and cottages and smallholdings. Over subsequent decades farms were acquired from neighbouring landowners, mainly during the ownership of Philip William Godsal, who inherited in 1858 and died in 1896. In 1895 it was reported to the Royal Commission on Land in Wales and Monmouthshire that the Iscoyd Park estate, now expanded to 887 acres (359 hectares, had 9 farms. Of these 'six new farmhouses, bricked and slated, and homesteads to them, have been built new entirely' and 'sixteen cottages and buildings for pigs and cows have been erected'.
Higher Lanes Farmhouse is dated 1869.
A 1½-storey T-shaped farmhouse of brick with dentil band above the main openings, tile roof on overhanging eaves, and 2 brick stacks with dentil heads. Windows are mainly small-pane iron-frame windows. The front facing the road comprises main range with cross wing to the L. The main range has a boarded door on the L side and 2 windows, and a 2-light casement window in a gabled dormer adjoining the advanced cross-wing to the left. The projecting gable end of the wing has single window on each floor. In the R gable end of the main range is a window lower R, 2 narrow attic windows and a stone tablet inscribed 'PWG 1869'. To the rear, a lean-to has 2 boarded doors flanking a replacement window, and has a later lower lean-to on its L side under a corrugated iron roof. The projecting gable end of the wing to the R has a single window offset to the R in the lower storey and 2 smaller attic windows.
Listed for its special architectural interest as a well-preserved mid C19 farmhouse characteristic of the Iscoyd Park estate style, and for its contribution to the distinctive historic character of the district provided by surviving estate buildings, which together represent a good example of estate-sponsored improvement.
Other nearby listed buildings