This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.8014 / 51°48'5"N
Longitude: -4.9714 / 4°58'17"W
OS Eastings: 195220
OS Northings: 215599
OS Grid: SM952155
Mapcode National: GBR CK.XRK3
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.SZ5D
Entry Name: Former Town Council offices
Listing Date: 30 November 2005
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87066
Building Class: Civil
Location: Situated between the former Temperance Hall and No 2 High Street.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Former town council offices, built 1871 to design of K.W. Ladd of Pembroke Dock. The town council offices had been over the N porch of St Mary's church, demolished in 1861. In 1868 a Literary and Scientific Institute was proposed on the site of the Coach and Horses Inn by the trustees of the Perrott Charity. The town council took over the scheme in 1870 and proposed a Mechanics Institute, then a Reading Room and finally to use the building for their council chamber, an office for the mayor, a record office and a residence for the police superintendent. The single-storey front part of the building appears to have been first intended as a shop.
Former town council offices, painted stucco with stone dressings to windows and slate eaves roof with brick end stacks. Three storeys, narrow two-bay front set back with large single-storey gabled range coming forward to align with the Temperance Hall to left. Windows are cambered headed four-pane sashes with sandstone rusticated surrounds and slate sills: two to top floor, two to first floor aligned further out than those above. Ground floor full-width projection has stuccoed front with coped gable and similar stone frame to cambered-headed doorway to extreme right and painted stuccoed surround to big triple window to left. Window has narrower side lights than centre, arched heads, the centre head segmental-arched, plate-glass long sash windows and thin chamfered mullions.
Tall rear to Dark Street of four storeys and two bays, rendered with exposed stone cambered-headed rusticated window surrounds and stone sills. Four-pane sashes in sandstone surrounds to main three floors, basement openings are not aligned, and have surrounds of tooled grey limestone. Tall doorway to left and 4-pane sash to right of centre. Grey stone plinth.
Interior not inspected.
Included for special historic interest as the former town council offices, and for group value.
Other nearby listed buildings