This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.8088 / 51°48'31"N
Longitude: -4.965 / 4°57'53"W
OS Eastings: 195697
OS Northings: 216402
OS Grid: SM956164
Mapcode National: GBR CL.X73H
Mapcode Global: VH1RD.WSKQ
Entry Name: Penrhiwllan
Listing Date: 30 November 2005
Last Amended: 30 November 2005
Source ID: 87082
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated at end of short lane, just past churchyard entry to St David's Church.
Community: Haverfordwest (Hwlffordd)
Built-Up Area: Haverfordwest
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Former vicarage for Prendergast, 1869 by John Foster of Foster & Wood of Bristol, for his brother, the Rev Francis Foster. The original plans and specification for the house show that it was to cost £1,500 and to be built of stone from Withybush quarry, with external stone from Haroldston quarry near Boulston and dressings of Doulting stone from Somerset.
Former vicarage, rock-faced sandstone with ashlar mullion-and-transom windows, slate roofs and red terracotta ridges. Gothic style, L-plan with main front to the garden and entrance in to rear wing. Main front has stone end wall stacks with sloping sides and ashlar tops. Garden front has two gables with ashlar bands over three-light windows with relieving arches to first floor. Ground floor has large ashlar canted bay to left, of 1-2-1 lights under chamfered parapet with square rosettes, and two two-light windows to right. An ashlar flush band above ground floor is cut by a pointed relieving arch and pierced with three tiny quatrefoils over both of the right side windows. Windowless right gable end with three ashlar bands. Rear wing has two eaves-breaking two-light windows under catslide roofs over door and a 2-light window with relieving arch and pierced quatrefoils as on garden front. Door is aligned slightly left of window above and is in ashlar pointed chamfered surround, under big gabled hood carried on two large shaped brackets on corbels. Gable has bargeboards and recessed pointed arch. Door has three glass panels over boarded lower part with diagonally crossed braces. To right is one-bay former parish room section with slightly lower roof, ashlar band continued across over ground floor 2-light window with relieving arch and tiny quatrefoils as elsewhere.
Interior not inspected. The 1869 plans show a SW dining-room and NW drawing-room, with study and parish room to E of entrance hall, central open-well stair, and NE kitchen and sculleries behind the drawing-room. The first floor had six bedrooms, one with dressing-room. There was a glazed gable between the N and S ranges at the back to light the stair.
Included for its special architectural interest as a well-designed and little altered mid-Victorian vicarage.
Other nearby listed buildings