This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7766 / 51°46'35"N
Longitude: -3.0146 / 3°0'52"W
OS Eastings: 330094
OS Northings: 209146
OS Grid: SO300091
Mapcode National: GBR F5.ZBVQ
Mapcode Global: VH79D.PLNX
Entry Name: Bridge No. 85 Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal
Listing Date: 9 December 2005
Last Amended: 9 December 2005
Source ID: 87145
Building Class: Transport
Location: The canal runs parallel to the A4052, separating Llanover village from Upper Llanover. It forms the eastern boundary of the Brecon Beacons National Park. The bridges are numbered from south to north
Community: Llanover (Llanofer)
Locality: Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford Jnr. as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year, with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crossley as engineer. Linked to the tramroads the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Company merged with the Monmouthshire Railway and Canal Company who owned the connecting canal from Pontymoile to Newport. Later still in 1880 the MR&CC was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was abandoned finally in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964, and the canal is once again open between Pontymoile and Brecon with the title Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal.
Accommodation and access bridge over the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. Semi-elliptical arch with voussoirs; squared, faced and coursed local sandstone; parapet with slab coping; curving abutments. Bridge number on south face of arch. Towpath runs beneath bridge arch on east side.
Included for its special interest as one of the unaltered surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal bridges.
Other nearby listed buildings