History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Popular Bridge ( Canal Bridge no 87 )

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr), Monmouthshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7791 / 51°46'44"N

Longitude: -3.0154 / 3°0'55"W

OS Eastings: 330044

OS Northings: 209426

OS Grid: SO300094

Mapcode National: GBR F5.Z4NC

Mapcode Global: VH79D.PJ7Z

Entry Name: Popular Bridge ( Canal Bridge no 87 )

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17647

Building Class: Transport

Location: Spanning the canal to the west of Ochram Farm and to north-east of a hairpin bend; carries the lane to Cwm Celyn and beyond.

County: Monmouthshire

Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)

Community: Llanfoist Fawr

Locality: Llanover

Traditional County: Monmouthshire

Find accommodation in
Llanover

Exterior

History: The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964.
Description: This bridge (No 87) lies within the section constructed by William Crosley between 1809 and 1812. Coursed rubble canal bridge, roughly squared, spanning canal and tow-path to east. Segmental arch has keystone and the parapets are curved out with end pilaster buttresses.

Included for its special interest as one of the surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal bridges.

References: Nicholson's guides to the Waterways, vol 3, South-west
p49-55, (n.d.).
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge, 1974), p49-55.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.