This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5642 / 52°33'50"N
Longitude: -3.1452 / 3°8'42"W
OS Eastings: 322472
OS Northings: 296875
OS Grid: SO224968
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CGBS
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.NTJ3
Entry Name: Clive House
Listing Date: 16 December 2005
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87235
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated attached to S end of No 1 Clive Terrace.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Smaller house, the right part of a much-altered formal late C18 composition of which the principal part, the centre gable with lunette window is also part of No 1 Clive Terrace. Clive House comprises part of the centre gable, the right wing and an additional bay in brick added to right end in the C19. The whole T-shaped group of Clive House, No 1 and the terrace behind is marked on 1833 map as 'Factory' but no evidence has been found to confirm this. On 1839 Tithe map marked as owned by the Powis estate, occupied by John Weaver.
House, painted rubble stone and brick with slate roof and brick S end stack. Two storeys, three bays. The right bay is a later C19 brick addition, the left two part of the C18 composition. The ground floor left window is a cambered-headed 3-light C19 window with brick head that breaks through the right corner of the projecting gabled centre of the C18 building. The centre bay, the right wing of the original has door with cambered brick head (C20 glazed door with overlight) and brickwork continued up to sill of C19 eaves-breaking tall gabled dormer with long casement pair. Slightly set back to right is painted brick C19 addition with similar ground floor triple casement and similar eaves breaking gabled upper window. Stepped brick eaves course.
Interior not inspected.
Included with No 1 Clive Terrace as remnant of an unusual formal later Georgian composition.
Other nearby listed buildings