This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5621 / 52°33'43"N
Longitude: -3.1464 / 3°8'47"W
OS Eastings: 322381
OS Northings: 296652
OS Grid: SO223966
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CN0J
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.MVXN
Entry Name: Heale Hall
Listing Date: 16 December 2005
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87239
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated immediately N of Glebe House.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
House converted in early C20 from Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1824. The chapel cost £230 and opened on Christmas Day 1824 and continued in use until the new chapel opened in 1885. A Sunday school established in the 1820s had 190 pupils by 1887 and may have continued here after 1885, and it is suggested that the chapel was used by the primary school across the road. The attractive roof lantern and other Arts and Crafts detail may date from a refurbishment for the Sunday school c. 1900, the new work being in a style suggestive of the architect F. Shayler of Oswestry whose Baptist chapel of 1900 had a similar lantern. The name derives from the surname of a late C20 owner.
House former chapel, green rubble stone with roof of small slates, outswept at eaves, and central cupola. One storey and attic to front. Cupola has swept square slated base to an octagonal lantern with unusual raking sides, shaped heads to openings, cornice and ogee octagonal leaded dome with long spike finial. One gabled dormer with bargeboards to left. Single casement and glazed sides. Facade slopes down to N with raised plinth. Three long arched windows with stone voussoirs, c1900 leaded glazing with two transoms, and stone sills. Door to left is square-headed with flat painted timber hood on raking fretted braces. Five-panel door with fielded panels and overlight of four arched panes. Door is patterned in nail-head studs. To left, straight joint to outbuilding addition with lower-pitched roof, first floor casement pair with brick sides and sill, brick quoins. Weather-board S gable end with C20 loft window over double garage doors.
N end has raised plinth, two similar arched windows with higher sills and c1900 mock timber-framing in bargeboarded gable. Rear has tiny catslide dormers attractively placed at two levels on the big roof. Arched windows below to right, and modern conservatory. Rear wing to left with pretty oriel in half-timbered W gable.
Interior not inspected.
Included for its special interest as an attractive Arts and Crafts style conversion of a chapel of 1824.
Other nearby listed buildings