This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.5652 / 52°33'54"N
Longitude: -3.1496 / 3°8'58"W
OS Eastings: 322171
OS Northings: 296999
OS Grid: SO221969
Mapcode National: GBR B0.CF73
Mapcode Global: WH7B2.LSD9
Entry Name: No. 2 Rock Cottages
Listing Date: 30 March 1983
Last Amended: 16 December 2005
Source ID: 87262
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated attached to The Piggin at NW edge of town.
Community: Montgomery (Trefaldwyn)
Built-Up Area: Montgomery
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
One of a pair of rubble-stone fronted timber-framed small houses, C18 probably, sited opposite the stone quarry at the foot of Castle Hill. No 1 was formerly the Piggin Tavern, or Pig & Whistle, then the pair and the two cottages beyond were called Rock Cottages. Marked on 1833 map as owned by the Powis estate, and on 1839 tithe map as occupied by Thomas Weaver Jr, Thomas Weaver Sr occupying the inn next door. The present road on to Caerhowell was not made until the mid 1840s.
Cottage, white painted rubble stone with slate eaves roof and red brick right end stack. One storey and attic, double fronted with large C19 eaves breaking gabled dormers and cambered-headed window each side of door. On ground floor, a casement-pair window with small panes, iron opening light and old catches each side of a cambered-headed ledged door. The two gabled dormers have bargeboards and finials and long casement pairs with small panes, iron opening lights, and old catches. A recessed panel above the door has been infilled since 1983. Straight joint in front wall to The Piggin. Exposed square panels of timber-framing with plaster infilling in rear elevation.
Matching single bay C19 addition to left with brick end stack, similar dormer, rendered wall over slate lean-to roof covering renewed three-sided bay window and open porch to modern door. End wall part brick part stone shows that this was built up from a lower outbuilding.
Joists and beams in right room covered over. Left room with chamfered axial beam and joists.
Included for its special historic interest as one of a pair of C18 double-fronted cottages combining timber framing and stone construction and retaining some good detail including locally distinctive fenestration.
Other nearby listed buildings