This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2806 / 53°16'50"N
Longitude: -3.8308 / 3°49'50"W
OS Eastings: 278033
OS Northings: 377517
OS Grid: SH780775
Mapcode National: GBR 1ZPH.FQ
Mapcode Global: WH654.4S2X
Entry Name: House and Fletcher & Poole Estate Agents
Listing Date: 30 December 2005
Last Amended: 30 December 2005
Source ID: 87440
Location: In a block of commercial and residential buildings fronting the street on the S side of Lancaster Square.
Locality: Walled town
Built-Up Area: Conwy
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Originally known as London House and in a block with Nos 2 and 4. Probably built in 1874, the date formerly shown on No 4. It is first shown on the 1889 Ordnance Survey. It was originally Star Supply Stores.
A house and shop of 3 storeys and attic, of renewed scribed roughcast front painted cream, under a slate roof with roughcast stacks. The shop front is modern. It has a plate-glass window on glazed tile stallboard, and diamond-pattern glazing over a transom, as does to the overlight to the recessed doors to the L. These are a half-glazed shop door and panelled house door. In the 1st floor are paired 4-pane horned sash windows on a common sill, under a bracketed cornice (although an early photograph shows a tripartite window). The 2nd floor has two 4-pane horned sash windows in moulded architraves with keystones, on a corbelled sill band continuous with Nos 2 and 4. The central attic window has a similar architrave to paired 4-pane sashes, under a gable with fretwork barge boards and finial.
The rear has altered openings, 2 roof dormers, and ground-floor extension.
Listed, notwithstanding its recent shop front, for its special architectural interest as a commercial and residential building of definite late C19 character, part of an imposing architectural group formed by Nos 1-6, and for its overall contribution to the historical townscape of Lancaster Square.
Other nearby listed buildings