This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.7212 / 51°43'16"N
Longitude: -5.1812 / 5°10'52"W
OS Eastings: 180368
OS Northings: 207286
OS Grid: SM803072
Mapcode National: GBR G2.ZP75
Mapcode Global: VH1RP.4ZRX
Entry Name: Hut Group at Former Dale Airfield
Listing Date: 22 February 2007
Last Amended: 22 February 2007
Source ID: 87517
Building Class: Defence
Location: Best approached on lane by Philbeach Farm The block is close to the E end of the main group of surviving domestic buildings on the site.
Community: Marloes and St. Brides (Marloes a Sain Ffrêd)
Community: Marloes and St. Brides
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The Airfield at Dale opened on 1st June 1942 as a satellite station to RAF Talbenny. In September 1943, the station became the base for 794 Squadron RNAS, a target-towing unit. On 1st April 1944 762 Squadron was formed at Dale. In the immediate post-war period, the airfield was used by several training units. Dale closed down on 13th December 1947.
The construction method of this hut group dates it to the period of occupation by the RNAS, and it was built around 1943-44. One of the huts is decorated with barrack room artwork. The majority of the artwork is by Sub-Lieutenant A R Dashfield who was stationed at Dale in 1946-47.
The building consists of six "Standard 24 foot" huts connected to each other and to a central ablutions block by corridors. Reinforced concrete posts at roughly 2 metre intervals support concrete roof trusses; the roof covering is corrugated asbestos. Between the posts, the hut walls consist of hollow terracotta blocks.
One hut to the rear left has 1940s wall paintings. The lively drawings show a large variety of aircraft caricatures getting into humorous scrapes, getting entangled with towing wires, flying upside down etc. Aircraft types include a Miles Messenger, Vought Corsair, an early jet aircraft etc, and views of Dale.
The only hut group of listable quality on the former airfield; raised above the quality of the others for the special interest of the surviving1940s artwork, a rare survival in a British air base, and amongst the best collections of such artwork outside a museum.
Other nearby listed buildings