This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9386 / 51°56'19"N
Longitude: -5.1739 / 5°10'26"W
OS Eastings: 181928
OS Northings: 231442
OS Grid: SM819314
Mapcode National: GBR C9.N3B2
Mapcode Global: VH1QQ.8JMP
Entry Name: Church of St Rhian
Listing Date: 1 March 1963
Last Amended: 4 February 1991
Source ID: 87554
Location: Situated in Llanrhian village about 100m NE of crossroads.
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
C13 or C14 tower, cruciform nave of 1836 by Daniel Evans, plain chancel probably remodelled after 1845, stone traceried windows and internal alterations 1891 by J P Seddon and J Coates Carter. Nave may include some masonry from previous double naved church.
Random rubble stone with low-pitched slate eaves roofs. W tower has slate saddleback roof with crowsteps and obelisk finials added 1836. Narrow bell chamber loops Cambered head C19 W door and exposed voussoirs of window head over similar doorway within. Nave has broad transepts with raking battlements and crude shoulder and apex finials. Slate coping beneath battlements is slightly returned like a schematic open pediment, echoed by similar slate hod over 3-light traceried pointed windows. Matching pointed-head 2-light windows each side of transepts and elaborate red brick star-shaped chimney at NE angle of nave. Chancel has one hoodmoulded flat-headed 2-light S window and 4-light E window. Late C18 and C19 tome slabs attached to S wall.
Large churchyard with plain granite piers at entry, scattered headstones and some table tombs, three in iron-railed enclosure E of chancel. Iron-railed enclosure in NW corner with headstones to Harries family.
Plastered nave and chancel with 3-sided roofs. Panelled high dado, walls and roofs divided into panels by applied timber strips. Brattished wallplate. Carved wood screen to N transept vestry. Finely carved chancel screen and full set of pews with octagonal colonettes to bench ends, all of 1891. Matching pulpit of 1906, choir stalls and reading desks. Encaustic tiled sanctuary. Clear lattice glazing.
Fine C15 or e arly C16 decagonal stone font with reversed shield plaques, one with arms of Sir Rhys ap Thomas (d 1525). Modern base. Some plain plaques in nave NE corner to Harries family of Trevaccoon: John Harries of Cryglas d 1797 by H Wood of Bristol; Samuel Harries d 1839; and J H Harries d 1869.
Other nearby listed buildings