History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brynarlais

A Grade II Listed Building in Llandrindod Wells, Powys

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2407 / 52°14'26"N

Longitude: -3.3774 / 3°22'38"W

OS Eastings: 306045

OS Northings: 261175

OS Grid: SO060611

Mapcode National: GBR YP.0YPR

Mapcode Global: VH69F.DYV4

Entry Name: Brynarlais

Listing Date: 9 June 2008

Last Amended: 9 June 2008

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 87569

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Adjacent to the Metropole Hotel, on the main road through the town, opposite Temple Gardens and the junction with South Crescent.

County: Powys

Town: Llandrindod Wells

Community: Llandrindod Wells (Llandrindod)

Community: Llandrindod Wells

Built-Up Area: Llandrindod Wells

Traditional County: Radnorshire

Find accommodation in
Llandrindod Wells

History

Built as a private house for Dr William Bowen- Davies, c1872, in the first generation of Llandrindod's rapid growth, and extended c1890, probably to provide enhanced space for the doctor's surgery. In 1910 it became the town hall for the newly emerged town of Llandrindod Wells, which had gained urban district council status in 1894.The principal public rooms occupy the extension to the original building, which is the northern section of the building. The original building comprised a square in plan block with hipped roof facing south, with a large rear wing, also with hipped roof. The extensions brought forward a further wing and new entrance, facing Temple Street. Dr Bowen-Davies practiced as a doctor in Llandrindod Wells from 1872 until 1907. He was instrumental in founding the Llandrindod Wells hospital in 1880, and was the fisrt chairman of the Llandrindod Wells Urban Distict Council.

Exterior

Rusticated stone work, with yellow-brick dressing including quoins, architraves, string course and eaves cornice. Slate roofs, with yellow brick stacks. Hipped slate roofs with yellow-brick chimneys comprising grouped shafts with projecting caps. 2 storeyed, the original house has 3-bay elevation facing south and 2-bay return to Temple Street. Hipped roofed wing set back behind extensions of c1890, comprising 2-storeyed wing with canted front to street, entrance porch and narrow bay alongside it to left, in angle with original main block. Glass-roofed arcade to rear enclosing 3 sides of a square, the remains of a conservatory added in 1894. Original entrance front to south is symmetrical with central entrance with 4-centred arch to recessed porch (4-panelled door with overlight within) between canted bay windows with chamfered brick surrounds to sash windows. 4-pane sash windows to first floor, and tall triple tiered sash window at centre. Return to Temple Street has 2x4-pane sash windows on each floor, and canted bay window beyond (added in c1890 alterations). C1890 extensions comprises bold 2-storeyed canted bay to left, with paired 2-pane sash windows with chamfered brick surrounds, and high parapet with curved profile swept down over narrow additional bay to rear of entrance. This has porch with muscular gothic architrave: columns with strong bases and capitals, stilted arched head. Immediately right of entrance, is a squared bay with tripartite sash to ground floor, ironwork rail as parapet. 4-paned sash window in original rear wing above. At rear, a 3-sided glass-roofed arcade (the remains of the 1894 conservatory) has rear 'grotto' wall of water-worn limestone, cast-iron columns to front, and tiled floor.

Interior

High quality detail internally, including good joinery (doors and architraves especially) throughout, fine main staircase of c1890 with ironwork balusters and swept rail leading to galleried upper landing, ornate plaster ceiling in principal ground floor room where there are elaborate architraves to windows, which incorporate stained glass armorial panels. Further stained glass to porch, front door, c1890 windows to Temple Street and rear stair window.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good example of a mid-Victorian house and small-scale civic building, retaining character reflecting principal periods of building in 1870s and 1890s. Significant in the context of the history of Llandrindod Wells not only as the home of a leading local medical and civic figure, but also as an early civic building for the rapidly developing new town.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Telephone Call-box outside Town Hall Building with S. Crescent opposite
    Immediately N of War Memorial Gardens; to rear of pavement.
  • II War Memorial
    Situated north of the Hotel Metropole in the gardens beside the Museum.
  • II Midland Bank
    Corner building prominently sited at the junction between Middleton Street, Spa Road and South Crescent.
  • II Barclay's Bank
    Forward to street with small forecourt; close to east side of the railway line.
  • II Llandrindod Wells Signal-Box
    On the E (down) platform. To S of the main station building and overbridge, near the far end of the platform. This example was relocated in September 1989 from original site at the level crossing to
  • II Holy Trinity Parish Church
    Situated in the upper part of the town to the north-east of the Grand Pavilion and recreation ground.
  • II Hotel Commodore
    Set back from the road in its own grounds and situated on a downhill slope to north-west of the Parish Church.
  • II* The Automobile Palace
    On corner with Spa Road East and with flank elevation on Princes Avenue.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.