This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4955 / 52°29'43"N
Longitude: -3.2108 / 3°12'39"W
OS Eastings: 317891
OS Northings: 289305
OS Grid: SO178893
Mapcode National: GBR 9X.HXVF
Mapcode Global: VH68C.9JDV
Entry Name: Cwm-dirgel
Listing Date: 14 December 2018
Source ID: 87753
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In an isolated position at the base of the Kerry ridge. Located at the end of a track from Lower Trefeen and Cwmydrefor farms, south of the A489 approximately 3.5km to the east of Kerry
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Probably constructed in the C17 as a 2-unit single storey (or possibly one and a half storey) timber framed cottage. It is subdivided internally into ‘hall’ and service rooms and this plan form is likely to be original and the surviving timber framed partition may also be original. At some point, possibly in the C18 or early C19, the roof was raised to provide a full 2nd storey, the existing windows were also created at this point and the stairs were added. It was also probably clad externally at this time, although the present cladding is likely to be a replacement.
It is shown on a 1816 Ordnance Survey Surveyors’ drawing for the area and detailed on the 1842 Kerry Tithe map as owned by David Davies and occupied by Richard Davies. The Tithe map shows a lean-to against the south gable and an extension on the north end, presumably a barn or cow house but different to the present (collapsed) structure. The 1st edition OS map (1886) shows a larger agricultural extension to the north, similar to the present structure. Presumably at some point in the mid C19 the earlier smaller structure was replaced with the larger structure which has now collapsed.
Cottage, timber framed and weather-boarded with oversailed slate roof. Stone S gable with brick stack. Built onto a stone revetted platform, 2-storey, 2-bay offset to L with door at S end. Windows partly survive as small paned casements, smaller to first floor, with timber architrave surrounds and cills. Timber porch to S with 3 steps up. Roughcast S gable with lean to extension. 2 windows to rear (E) elevation. Collapsed barn to N end exposing end timber frame of house with brick panel infill, and the original steeply pitched roof truss of collar and tie-beam trusses with king struts and single purlins.
2-unit interior with lobby entrance onto the S wall fireplace. Fireplace now partly or largely rebuilt in brick, lined out and obscured. Dog-leg stairs in NW corner. Timber framed stud partition to service end, divided into 2 smaller rooms. Stone flag floor, partly replaced at service end. First floor divided into 2 rooms, cast iron fireplace in S room. S lean-to with cast iron boiler.
Included for its special architectural interest as a rare surviving example of a smaller rural vernacular building type, important despite later alterations for retaining its pre-1700 form and detail. The alterations are themselves historical, and clearly show the development and adaptation of this small rural cottage.
Other nearby listed buildings