This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2449 / 52°14'41"N
Longitude: 0.7139 / 0°42'50"E
OS Eastings: 585377
OS Northings: 264217
OS Grid: TL853642
Mapcode National: GBR QF0.7B2
Mapcode Global: VHKD4.BT8X
Entry Name: 14, ABBEYGATE STREET (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 7 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1021957
English Heritage Legacy ID: 466581
Location: Bury St. Edmunds, St. Edmundsbury, Suffolk, IP33
District: St. Edmundsbury
Civil Parish: Bury St Edmunds
Built-Up Area: Bury St Edmunds
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Bury St Edmunds St John the Evangelist
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
BURY ST EDMUNDS
TL8564SW ABBEYGATE STREET
639-1/14/125 (North side)
Includes: No.15 HIGH BAXTER STREET.
Shop and offices on a corner site, formerly shop and house
with workshops behind. C16 and C17 with an early C19 front to
Abbeygate Street. Timber-framed, with the timbers exposed in
one bay of the jettied side frontage, the remainder rendered.
Hipped plaintiled roof.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, attics and cellar; on a corner site with
a return front to High Baxter Street. The Abbeygate Street
frontage has a plain parapet and quadrant corner. 2 windows to
the upper storey: one small-paned sash in a plain reveal on
the curve of the corner and one 3-light small-paned sash with
diminished side-lights and a wooden blind box. A lead-covered
segmental-headed dormer with a 2-light casement window in the
front slope of the roof. An early C20 shop front with a heavy
fascia and corner entrance door also extends along part of the
side range. This 5-bay range along High Baxter Street is in 3
sections with marked joins in the framing after the 2nd and
3rd bays. At the south end one bay has exposed studding on the
upper storey; in the next 2 bays the joist ends and the
ogee-moulded bressumer are visible; the 2 bays to the north
are unjettied, with a rendered and lined exterior restored in
There is a variety of windows along the upper storey: 4
small-paned C19 sashes in moulded frames, one single-light and
one 2-light C20 casement window, and on the corner a blocked
4-light original window with moulded mullions and C20
replacement spandrels. On the ground storey three 12-pane sash
windows, one with panelled external shutters, and a 6-panel
door with raised fielded panels, the top 2 glazed. Adjoining
to the north is a further 3-storey range, also completely
restored in 1990. This has a continuous row of fixed casements
on the 1st storey and 3 casement windows on the top storey, 2
of 2 lights, one single light. C20 plaintiles. A small stable
timepiece is attached to the 1st floor of the Northgate Street
frontage: made by W Potts & Sons, Leeds, dated 1900, with
double bracket "frying-pan" dial.
INTERIOR: cellar with walls of flint rubble and re-used stone
blocks has the remains of old render and a timber ceiling.
Along the side range some plain widely-spaced studding and
chamfered joists are exposed, and in the 2 end bays on the
north the main cross-beams and plain unchamfered joists of the
ground storey ceiling are visible. Original roof to part with
clasped purlins, collars and principal rafters exposed.
Listing NGR: TL8537764217
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings