This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4661 / 51°27'58"N
Longitude: -2.1644 / 2°9'51"W
OS Eastings: 388679
OS Northings: 174141
OS Grid: ST886741
Mapcode National: GBR 1R3.5LS
Mapcode Global: VH96B.FDNX
Entry Name: Chapel to the south-east of Sheldon Manor
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 22 June 2017
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317321
Location: Chippenham Without, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Chippenham Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CHIPPENHAM WITHOUT SHELDON
ST 87 SE
5/229 Chapel to south east of
20.12.60 (formerly listed with Sheldon Manor) )
Chapel, C15 rubble stone with stone-tiled roof, restored in C20.
East end cross finial. C20 moulded stone west door with small
single light over, 2-light Perpendicular pointed arched east window
with quatrefoil head, restored in C20, 2-light Perpendicular style
south window and single light north window. 2 bay interior with
restored wind-braced roof and piece of possibly C13 carved woodwork
with dogtooth ornament inserted over west door. Small fragment of
C15 stained glass in east window, inserted in C20. Scheduled
Listing NGR: ST8867874143
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
A private chapel, built in C15, restored in the late C20.
A private chapel, built in the mid-C15, restored in the late C20.
MATERIALS: local-rubble stone with a stone-tiled roof.
PLAN: rectangular single-cell building, aligned W to E.
EXTERIOR: a gable-ended building topped by a pitched roof with a stone ridge and a cruciform finial over the E end. At the W end is a C20 moulded stone pointed arch around a timber door with strap hinges. Above is a single-light window. In the N wall a central door has been blocked and another more recent door has been replaced with a two-light window. This is also a small single-light window to the E side of the N wall. The E end contains a two-light window within pointed stone arch. The lights have cusped heads and a glazed quatrefoil above. In the S wall there is square opening with a two-light, cusped-headed window.
INTERIOR: in the W wall, above the door, is a C13 timber with dog-tooth style ornamentation. The E window has fragments of C15 glass which were inserted in the C20. There is a restored two-bay, collar-beam, wind-braced roof and a flagstone floor.
The first owner of Sheldon Manor was Sir William de Beauvilain, who lived there from circa 1180 to 1230. The Manor formed part of the medieval village of Sheldon which formerly lay to the west of the Manor. The Manor was owned by Sir Walter de Godarville from 1231 until 1250, when his daughter Joan de Godarville married Sir Geoffrey Gascelyn. Sheldon Manor remained in the ownership of the Gascelyn family until the early C15. The current house was first constructed in 1282, and has been altered and enlarged at various phases including the early C15, circa 1660, circa 1710 and 1911.
The detached chapel to the SE of the house is believed to date from c.1450, and was built for Sir Walter Hungerford who bought Sheldon Manor from the Gascelyn family in 1424. It was built as a private place of worship for the family and their servants. Later, it was used for many years to house livestock and this led to openings being made in the N elevation. It was restored for use as a chapel in 1979; some of the openings were altered and a new entrance was inserted in the W end.
The chapel to the south-east of Sheldon Manor, Chippenham Without, is listed at Grade II* for the following principal reasons:
* Date: a C15 chapel which retains a significant proportion of late-medieval fabric;
* Architectural interest: this modestly-sized building makes good use of local materials and architectural detailing;
* Group value: it has strong group value with a number of designated historic assets, including Sheldon Manor (Grade I) and its designed landscape (registered; Grade II), and the remains of the medieval settlement of Sheldon (scheduled monument).
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings