This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4658 / 51°27'56"N
Longitude: -2.165 / 2°9'53"W
OS Eastings: 388636
OS Northings: 174105
OS Grid: ST886741
Mapcode National: GBR 1R3.5FF
Mapcode Global: VH96B.FFB5
Entry Name: Converted Barn Range to West of Sheldon Manor
Listing Date: 20 December 1960
Last Amended: 9 December 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1022909
English Heritage Legacy ID: 317323
Location: Chippenham Without, Wiltshire, SN14
Civil Parish: Chippenham Without
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Chippenham St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
CHIPPENHAM WITHOUT SHELDON
ST 87 SE
5/231 Converted barn range to west of
(formerly listed as 2 cottages and
20.12.60 stables at Sheldon Manor)
Range of 2 barns and outbuildings, 1723, altered 1911 and north end
rebuilt as cottage 1968. Rubble stone with stone-tiled roofs.
South end barn, now tea-shop, with projecting west side half-hipped
cart entry. Cart entry infilled and west side altered with
various stable openings. Blocked east side plain cart entry and
reused early C18 moulded doorcase with 9-panel door inserted from
demolished house at Allington Bar. Second barn, stepped up has
half-hipped west cart entry. converted to 2 cottages c1911, with
ridge stacks, 3 window range, 2 storey house to right of cart
entry, windows in cart entry, lean-to porch and dormer to left.
Rear wall has 2 narrow lights and reused 9-panel door and 2-light
mullion window with hood. North end, rebuilt 1968 by O.
Brakspear, has 2 dormer gables each side, mullion windows with
king-mullions and 2 segment-headed glazing bar windows to ground
floor west side. Running east, enclosing north side of Sheldon
Manor garden, single storey range of 4 open bays and enclosed stone
section with reused early C19 Gothic panelled door. Hipped east
gable. Stone section has west wall of thick masonry, part of a
pre-C17 building. Added at west end a C20 hipped roof
summerhouse, originally open to south, now glazed.
Listing NGR: ST8863674105
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings