This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.9918 / 50°59'30"N
Longitude: -1.7416 / 1°44'29"W
OS Eastings: 418229
OS Northings: 121412
OS Grid: SU182214
Mapcode National: GBR 528.QH5
Mapcode Global: FRA 767H.99N
Entry Name: The Moot with Attached Kitchen
Listing Date: 23 March 1960
Last Amended: 4 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1023898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319665
Location: Downton, Wiltshire, SP5
Civil Parish: Downton
Built-Up Area: Downton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Downton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
MOOT LANE (east side)
The Moot with attached kitchen (the latter formerly listed as laundry with Temple now demolished)
House with attached kitchen range. c.1700, kitchen early C18.
Flemish bond brick with vitrified headers and limestone dressings,
tiled hipped roof, brick stacks with moulded cappings. 5 x 5 bays
with extension. 2-storey with basement and attic, 5 windows.
Basement has two 2-light recessed chamfered mullioned windows
either side of 8 stone steps to central door. Centre bay breaks
forward, with stone chamfered quoins and modillioned pediment over;
door with 6 fielded panels in eared stone architrave with open
segmental pediment on consoles, first floor has 12-pane sash in
moulded stone architrave with apron and moulded sill. To sides are
two flush 12-pane sashes to ground and first floors, with thick
glazing bars, stone plat band to first floor. Coved eaves cornice.
Lead downpipes. Three hipped dormers to roof. Right return has
four 2-light leaded casement to basement and one ovolo-moulded
casement. To left of ground and first floors are two blind
windows, to right are three 12-pane sashes to both floors, plat
band to first floor. Three hipped dormers. Left return has C20
door to right of centre with large, segmental porch on pairs of
Tuscan columns, two 2-light basement casements to left. One blind
window to right of ground and first floors, to left are two 12-pane
sashes to both floors, plat band to first floor, 12-pane sash over
door lighting stairs. To left is C18 bay with 8-pane sash to
ground and first floors. Coved cornice, three hipped dormers.
Rear has external stack with blocked windows to left, 1920s flat
roofed extension with dated rain water head and sash, to right is
return of kitchen range with leaded casements.
Interior fittings mostly date from after the fire of 1923 when Mr
Squarey reconstructed the house interior, the two staircases are
probably in original positions, the north one has vase turned
balusters, the central stairs have barley-sugar balusters and closed
string, basement has stone bolection-moulded fireplace. The former
laundry range, now kitchen is single storey with five 12-pane
sashes, all with thick glazing bars, parapet with blind windows and
ramped brick coping, rear has gabled tiled roof and 12-pane and 16-
pane sashes. Attached to rear is garage with leaded casement and
planked door, hipped dormer to tiled roof.
(Unpublished records of RCHM (England), Salisbury), Country Life
January 9th, 1909 pages 54 to 62).
Listing NGR: SU1823421414
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings