This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0196 / 51°1'10"N
Longitude: -4.2059 / 4°12'21"W
OS Eastings: 245377
OS Northings: 126790
OS Grid: SS453267
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4B5
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.38M
Entry Name: Conservative Club
Listing Date: 8 November 1949
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1025073
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375752
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/40 (South side)
House, now club. Possibly late C18, remodelled early/mid C19.
Solid rendered front. Slate roof. Rendered chimney on each
gable-end. 4-square plan with central entrance-passage; rear
centre stair compartment with curved, projecting rear wall;
long rear wing to left, age uncertain; rear curtilage to right
now built over with ballroom.
2 storeys; 3-window range. Ground storey has round-arched
centre doorway with reeded architrave having a keyblock; inner
jambs of architrave have attached pilasters incised with
key-pattern. Inner porch with groined vault having a foliated
boss at its apex; beyond this an inner doorway with 6-panelled
door and pilasters like those at the front. Flanking the
doorway 2 large segmental bow windows of 3 lights each;
between the lights and at either side pilasters incised with
key-pattern, these supporting an entablature with paired
brackets to the cornice. Raised band between storeys. All
windows have 6-paned sashes. Deeply-projecting eaves-cornice
with paired brackets.
INTERIOR: ground floor only inspected. At rear of
entrance-passage a doorway with semi-circular fanlight having
patterned glazing. Wooden geometrical staircase; slender
turned balusters with square necking-pieces; shaped step-ends;
handrail voluted at foot of stair. In the stair-compartment
wall between ground and first floors 2 round-headed
semi-circular niches; tall, round-arched, small-paned window.
Front left-hand room has enriched cornice and chandelier-boss.
Other ground-floor rooms completely altered in late C20.
The first Bridge Feoffees' lease of this site was of 2 stables
in 1701. The later documentation is confusing, but the
earliest firm reference to a house is in an 1839 lease to
Susannah Glynn, spinster.
(Notes by Bideford Historic Buildings Survey).
Listing NGR: SS4537726790
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings