This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.0196 / 51°1'10"N
Longitude: -4.2058 / 4°12'20"W
OS Eastings: 245382
OS Northings: 126790
OS Grid: SS453267
Mapcode National: GBR KJ.J4C8
Mapcode Global: FRA 262F.39Q
Entry Name: 24, Bridgeland Street
Listing Date: 19 March 1973
Last Amended: 19 April 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1200878
English Heritage Legacy ID: 375753
Location: Bideford, Torridge, Devon, EX39
Civil Parish: Bideford
Built-Up Area: Bideford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Bideford St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET
842-1/5/41 (South side)
(Formerly Listed as:
House, now solicitors' offices. Probably 1692, almost wholly
altered in early or mid C19 and c1900. Solid walls, probably
of brick with some stone; front clad with c1900 mathematical
tiles, rear walls rendered. Slate roofs; rear slope of main
range and whole of rear wing tarred. Old red-brick chimneys,
the upper courses projecting to form entablatures, at
right-hand end of ridge and over rear wall of left-hand front
room; rendered chimney on right wall of wing.
2-room-wide-plan with entrance-passage in centre of ground
storey; latter leads to staircase in lean-to (probably added
in C19 or c1900) which extends across the whole rear of
building; 2 rooms deep wing (of at least early or mid C18) on
2 storeys, with attic in main building; 3-window range.
Doorway flanked by attached, plain-shafted Doric columns
supporting entablature; 6-panelled door in moulded architrave.
Above the entablature a flattened bow window with triple
sashes, raised strapwork on base, 6-paned sashes in centre and
4-paned outer ones; top entablature surmounted by patterned
iron cresting. Doorcase is early or mid C19; bow window
similar, though probably a slightly later addition. Outer
windows segmental-headed; 8-paned sashes in ground storey,
6-paned ones above. Raised band over each storey. Deep moulded
eaves-cornice broken by 3 gabled dormers; windows have 6-paned
Yorkshire sashes, plain stone shields in the apexes of gables
and ball-finials on top. Rear wall has staircase window with
coloured glass. Wing has mostly 4-paned sashes with horns,
probably of c1900, but right-hand ground-storey window has
early or mid C19 triple sash with 8-paned sashes in centre
INTERIOR: detail mostly early or mid C19, but with some work
probably of c1900, particularly the staircase, ground-floor
front and first-floor left front chimneypieces. Inner front
door half-glazed with 2 solid moulded panels below and 4
glazed panels above; surround filled with coloured glass.
Entrance-passage floor has coloured patterned tiles. The 2
ground-floor front rooms have C19 panelled shutters and
moulded cornices; right-hand room has panelled dado, left-hand
room only the dado-rail. Carved wood chimneypieces in c1700
style; that in left-hand room has original cast-iron grate.
Wooden open-well staircase with turned balusters and newels.
First-floor left-hand front room has chimneypieces like that
on the floor below. Right-hand front room has single early or
mid C19 marble chimneypiece. First-floor front room of wing
has early or mid C18 window-shutters with one-fillet
ovolo-moulded, raised-and-fielded panels; cupboard with
ovolo-moulded panelled doors on H-hinges. Left-hand attic room
has small C19 cast-iron chimneypiece and grate. In backyard a
pump with old iron pipe.
This was Bideford Bridge Trust property, first leased to
Samuel Curtise of Bideford, mason, on 29.12.1692, the house
then 'being built and well nigh finished'. The dormers with
ball-finials are shown in a photograph of Bridgeland Street
dating from before 1869, but the mathematical tiling is mor
likely to date from about 1900. Nos 25-26, which have the same
tiling, were reconstructed by the architect, G Malam Wilson,
between 1899 and 1901.
(Bideford Bridge Trust Surveys: A1/20; Bideford Weekly
Gazette: 11.6.1901: P.46; Goaman M: Bideford in Old Picture
Postcards: 1982-: PLATE 54).
Listing NGR: SS4538226790
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings